Triumph Quality In Question

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by B with Speed, Sep 9, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Perfect! ;):joy:

2. Mops

Mops New Member

Oct 15, 2019
    South Wales

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I had this problem on my speed twin within a couple of months from new. It was this issue and the squealing brakes that resulted in me getting rid of the bike. I have been waiting for more owners to come forward with the same problem and sadly this is the case. For me Triumph have been totally lacking in support of speed twin owners

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    Had my Street Cup in for its break-in service. Soon after started seeing substantial oil leaking onto the floor and all over the bottom of the bike. I cleaned it up and tried tracking the fault myself, after booking a stop at the same dealership where I had bought it. On a whim I checked the spin on filter and discovered it was so loose I got a full turn on it by hand before it even started to snug up. Cancelled the appointment, as those tw@ts will not touch the bike again. Now, 10k miles in and not spilt another drop.

• Like Like x 6
  5. B with Speed

B with Speed Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2020
    Denver Colorado
    Yeah, The filter was the first thing I checked. In this case the leak seems to be coming from the front of the motor. It’s at the dealer now. According to one of the mechanics, this motor has a tendency to leak from “galley plugs”. Exhaust has to be removed to get a better look. Fingers crossed…

• Like Like x 3
  6. B with Speed

B with Speed Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2020
    Denver Colorado
    Well, she’s back from Erico Motorsports, and in fact it was a galley plug that was leaking oil. Specifically in my case it was the plug at the front if the engine case, directly above the cat, which explains why the entire underside of the bike was getting a nice layer of oil :mad:

According to the mechanic, who was VERY thorough and spent quite a while answering all my questions, these galley plug leaks are a common issue from the factory on most Triumphs, not just the Bonnie 1200s. He sees it frequently and had just done a Speed Triple with the same issue.

Triumph doesn’t use proper RTV to seal these plugs, which would be a super simple thing to do when they assemble the motor! C’mon Triumph!! Details!!

Props to Erico in Denver for taking the time to sort this out, and esp to the mechanic who also took some extra time to make sure my shift linkage was in good shape: he disassembled it and added Lock Tite where it needs it. Now she’s clean and hopefully good to go for years, fingers crossed!

665EF8C7-E15C-4EF3-847C-34CF973F8E47.jpeg

• Like Like x 5