Triumph Poor Quality :-(

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by darkman, Jun 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    It was only a week ago that i mentioned about the poor quality of finish on my new speed twin compared to my old 16 speed triple, today i removed the fixings from the rear shocks to measure for some new rear shocks and found this :-(
    20190608_114703.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    What are we looking at here? Is that rust or a reflection? :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    The incorrect use of a fully threaded bolt instead of using shanked bolts, sorry for my lack of explanation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hhhm rust ? Loose bolt ? Or the weld on the shock base ?
    All looks fairly good to me, it's in a fairly innocuous place to me, very limited visibility.
    But then again I'm a mechanic and so long as it's fully functional it's all good. I'm usually more disappointed when the standard of performance is limited or restricted. That's why my America has fully upgraded suspension all round and I've had the motor dyno tuned. As who wants a 865/900 that is so poorly performance oriented ??

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Hi Capt, no issues with the 1200's 90 + BHP or the 80 + of torque as thats why i bought the bike, just pissed that Triumph couldn't use a shanked bolt in a stress/mount area.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    It’ll be a 10.9 bolt anyway won’t it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Even the shit cheap shock works ok for average riders and i am only changing them so as i can set up the rear sag on our bikes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    It's a M10 threaded bolt.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Are the rear shocks not even preload adjustable? :eek: Now that really is cheap!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Yes but it should be a 10.9 high tensile bolt rather than a standard 8.8 metric bolt

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Ah! oops. None of the bolts have any stamps or marks :-( again cheapo parts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    They have spring preload freck lol, with our old bikes i have always been able to adjust the sag for both of us as the speed and street triples have far more adjustment on there better quality shocks, i was aware of this before i bought the bikes but was somewhat pissed at finding that shit bolt holding the rear shock in lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    That's not that high a stressed performance area ? 90 HP and 240 ish kg vehicle mass , the bolts on my America are the same, but the shocks do slide over mounts on the swing arm and on the upper chassis/frame.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    Over time the threads will grind into the eyelet, or if the bolt is softer it will wear down compromising the strength of it. Or both. A shanked bolt gives a smooth pivot point. Sorry for the simple explanation, but wanted all to get it. This is a case I feel of bean counters not caring because a bolt is a bolt, right!?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  15. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Yes the top mount is a slide over on our bikes as well and not an issue, i will be replacing the lower bolts with shank bolts that are of a better quality.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Shouldn't be a problem as the bolt only provides clamping force is on the inner sleeve no movement involved, the whole stress and slight pivoting force is concentrated on the rubber liner that the shock eye sits on.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    In years of wrenching on anything from restoring classic cars to building off-road rigs I have seen bolts in this very application get eaten well into their total diameter. There is just enough movement to allow it. Time will kill anything, for the extra effort they should have done it right.

• Agree Agree x 8
  18. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    What gets me here is that the retro stuff fitted with poorer quality components actually cost a similar amount to a top of the range Street Triple RS which have Ohlins, Brembo etc, why the shite components on the retro stuff then?

• Agree Agree x 7
  19. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    All sorted now, spoken to a very helpful person at firefox and getting new shocks for both bikes with correct spring weights for both of us and with height adjustment as well so we have the option to play with lowering them a tad as well and ordered new bolts.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

FYI - That's a set screw or machine screw as it is threaded all the way. A bolt has an unthreaded section.

I'd go down to an engineering supply shop and get a proper bolt, will cost you pence.

Cheap bastards Triumph :confused:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Probably not :confused:

• Agree Agree x 3