Featured Triumph Or Harley Hmmmm....

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by rudderpedals, Aug 23, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Elite Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    Welcome RP great choice has to be Triumph
    Bonnie.
    I had to choose at the start of the year between a hd heritage and a Triumph Thunderbird Lt 1700 . The Tbird Won hands down.
    P.s welcome to the nut house,.....
    Tucker

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. rudderpedals

rudderpedals Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Kansas City, MO., USA
    the nut house??? what did I get myself into ;)

3. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Welcome mate. Don't be a stranger, this is a great place to pass the time talking bollox and for getting good informed help too.

4. Kerry Lohrey

Kerry Lohrey Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Tasmania
    I had a 92 fxr lowrider for 18 years and loved it, when i lived in an area with no corners, now back in my home state of Tasmania have a 2007 T100 much modified and love it. Back in Feb. picked up my Thruxton "r" and after fitting exhaust ,fairing and rear fender removal it is an absolute joy to see and ride.I am a lucky man to have the choice of which to ride.Both brilliant bikes, in my opinion!!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Woznotwoz

Woznotwoz Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Morecambe
    #25 Woznotwoz, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Hi sorry for taking so long to reply.

Well my comment is exactly as stated really. I can't think of many other words to describe the T120, other than a competent, but bland machine.

• Like Like x 1
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Still we carry on and learn to love them. Want to see my old Jubilee it drives me crazy.
    Regards
    Joe

• Like Like x 2
  7. 45Brit2017

45Brit2017 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2017
    UK
    Had my 92 883 Sportster out for a last canter before the winter - reminded myself of the difference between a 21st century "retro" bike and an actual, period bike (the Evolution Sportster might have been introduced in 1986 but it's pure 1970s engineering)

• Like Like x 1
  8. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Rudderpedals
    Good luck with the bike. I do find my T120 nice for motorways and like someone said a little bland in town. I have the Norman Hyde pea shooters and x box on my bike but for some reason it sounds like its empty is the only way I can explain it. But it goes well. I find the steering a bit vague and needs work to get it round tighter bends at speed it seems to drift a bit. But I have been looking up mods on here and YouTube and it seems there is a lot we can do to sort it out. As with the sound I just read on here about some filter in the air box and over the next few months I will endeavour to remove it like other have done. I will talk to Hagon about suspension as I have done with all my other bikes. But all in all its a good bike and have lots of fun with it. You never know your boys might follow suit.
    Ride Free
    Joe

• Like Like x 2
  9. DJ Burnage

DJ Burnage New Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Chesterfield

10. DJ Burnage

DJ Burnage New Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Chesterfield
    I got rid of my Harley this year for the same reason. The Harley it sounded great looked great but was too heavy for me at 66 so Street Twin it was .just remember` NO SUiRRENDER Im gonna ride till I get on one side and fall off the other

• Like Like x 3
  11. DJ Burnage

DJ Burnage New Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Chesterfield
    I got rid of my Harley this year for the same reason. The Harley it sounded great looked great but was too heavy for me at 66 so Street Twin it was .just remember` NO SUiRRENDER Im gonna ride till I get on one side and fall off the other

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Woznotwoz

Woznotwoz Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Morecambe
    Well I suppose it depends on what Harley you had? In reality the T120 is still a heavy bike for a twin. I suppose the kerb weight is around 235kg at a guess which isn't that much lighter than a sportster really.

13. 45Brit2017

45Brit2017 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2017
    UK
    Sportster is quoted as 256kg but feels more, it's more topheavy than the Triumph

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Woznotwoz

Woznotwoz Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Morecambe
    Well I don't remember my Sportster being top heavy, but there you go I suppose everyone views things differently. However, the Sportster certainly wasn't lacking in character unlike the T120
    which unfortunately I find a wee bit uninspiring - I haven't even ridden it for the last 2 months. Might have to think about either modding it, or part exchanging it (worse case scenario).
    Not to mention the bike has had 3 warranty issues which isn't good, and my the bloody service light came on last time I rode it in spite of the bike already having it's annual service this year.

Overall I'm disappointed in the machine.

15. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Shame you have had few problems. Been on the forum for a while now and yes some do get problems, but in the main triumph bikes are reasonably well built and the dealers do tend to sort folk out if things do go wrong.
    Wesaa

16. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Woznotwoz.
    Yes I had similar probs with mine it was back to the dealer for over a week and they found it was a loose connection. Its been good since. And at first I though mine bland but you know the more I ride it now the freer the bike feels and if you welly it a little through the gears it really does step out and rides very well. The only thing I find now is it is quite lazy on corners but I'm hoping to improve this by better suspension front and back. I do like Harleys aswel but you never stop spending on them it just seem to come with having one.
    Ride Safe.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Woznotwoz

Woznotwoz Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Morecambe
    You maybe right in what you say. Perhaps I just need to give it a bit more time and a pair of slip ons......... :laughing: etc. I think my biking mojo is a bit in the doldrums at the mo and I'm pretty desperate to try and get my love of motorcycling back

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Woznotwoz.
    Yes I think you will grow to love it. And good silencers do help also dump that balance box with the cat and fit an Xbox or similar. I fitted mine with the Norman Hyde pea shooters but don't like the sound. Not sure if it is the silencers or what it is but it seems to have a hallow sound to the engine. But then this bike is totally different to any bike I have ever rode. Different sound different delivery and different feel to the control of it.
    Ride Free
    Joe.

19. Winglad

Winglad Crème de la Crème

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    #39 Winglad, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    As you might have read before, I have an Iron 883 and a Bonnie T120.
    Today was one of the finest days weatherwise this year and me and one of my best friends went for a ride on my 2 bikes. I was keen on having him try out the Harley, because I love it so much.
    After a while, he asked me to swap to ride the Bonnie. That's what we did and we kept riding through the hills and valleys.
    At a traffic light, he stopped next to me and said (all smiling): "You know, I just feel like embracing the whole world...! What a great bike this is. I cannot find a single fault with it. It's like you become ONE with it as soon as you settle down on it."
    Well that was one of the reasons I bought it in first place.
    Maybe it is this kind of perfection that offsets us in a way. Like those kids who always get the best grades and that you hate even though you really don't know why.
    Anyway: I still love my Iron, but here's a big Cheers to the Bonnie!!!!

Let's embrace the world :)

• Like Like x 4
  20. chrispowell

chrispowell New Member

Oct 16, 2017
    west sussex
    just sold my Harely 48 i had from new two years ago, bought a speed triple mk1 just like i had 23 years ago.., a few observations on my ownership of th HD , firstly the gearbox !!! what the hell....? i used to think CLUNK CLICK every trip refered to a seat belt in a car !! ... no its a Harley gearbox ! ... unbelievably bad ...second the weight ... its so small and so heavy ... and as for the tiny petrol tank ... it looked so good but what a faff when going out ... every petrol station was a doer :(... generally i enjoyed it but i think thats my harley ownership done ... i smile so much more opening the garage door to my Diablo Black Speed triple ! :))))

• Like Like x 2