Featured Triumph Forum sat nav group

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Dougie D, Sep 28, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Must admit, liking the garmin and being able to put routes in off the computer, but bloody annoying when you don't pick them up on the road and it keeps wanting to backtrack to 'get' them. Can skip and become single route, but then no distance displayed to next way point.
    Only real complaint.
    If you are just using as a satnav, works great. Nice easy to use, just the way point thing pisses me off.

Got mine very cheap out of aldi, so never got the choice of tomtom.

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I have both, I was having issues with the TomTom but I am getting used to it now, i was hoping i could use in the car as handsfree, not realising that you can only connect it through a headset not directly to your phone. My old car tomtom reached its last update and they have given me 30% off the new 5200 so i got that at £200. The tomtom rider 400 takes a while to start up. you can add stops, skip the next waypoint in the on screen menu and rearrange the ones you have. It works with my routeapp. I picked mine up with world maps and a car mount for £300, at that price its cheaper than the equivalant garmin, mind you the top Garmin looks good but its near £600. The Garmin I have is a 340lm which does whats needed for sure and has some features that are more friendly to use than the tomtom. I think it comes down to preference but ujnfortunately you can never test ride them unless you have a friend with one

3. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I think the trick is Ron you have to be really precise where you are putting the waypoints,What i do when creating a route is i make up the route roughly, then i go over it adding waypoints at every junction and zooming right in to make sure the waypoint is on the correct bit of road, as it's so easy when not zoomed right in to put it slightly off route,also if you are putting a waypoint on a motorway you definitely have to zoom right in to make sure you have the waypoint on the right lane,It does take time especially if it's a long route, but i quite enjoy doing it and it gives you a chance to have a good look at the route via street view

4. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Ok here's a question! When out and about and sat drinking a cup of tea you decide to follow a route home you have in My Routes on your mobile version of MyRoute-app on your phone, you select the route and press the export button and the window says navigon and sygic but I want to send it to my rider 400 via mydrive or other.
    Can this be done? Obviously I'm out and about on my bike so no access to pc,

5. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i had a tom tom for the car and it was fine,i didn't create routes with it only ever used it for going A to B. i got the Garmin which is a dedicated bike sat nav (tomtom do them also) and once you get the hang of it it's really good and really robust it's came off the bike twice (my own fault for not making sure it was clicked in properly) and it bounced on the road several times and each time i thought it would be knackered, but apart from a few marks on the rubber it was fine!

6. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i've never used it on my phone..that sounds too complicated for me:oops:

7. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I had this problem on a route I was following on my garmin. Just by coincidence one of my waypoints was on a road that had been closed for tree work which was annoying. Maybe the more expensive garmin have the option to ignore/cancel next waypoint

• Like Like x 1
  8. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Before I had the satnav I used my phone. So you could plan a route in MyRoute-app on the pc save it in my routes and it would send it to the MyRoute-app on my phone via the cloud. You could then transfer it to sygic and follow the route on your phone. Just be handy to share the routes to your proper satnav, especially if you wanted to share it with a friend while out riding

9. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Was out Sunday, Admittedly off road, but fireroads still show up, I was within 6 yds of a way point, but just wouldn't click it off. Very frustrating. Same was happening last year when on road using the triumph.

10. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I too got caught out by a road being closed, really threw a spanner in the works.

You can cancel a waypoint, but it then cancels them all !!! Which is really annoying. The route is no longer a series of waypoints, but just a route. Easy enough to follow, but not sure what happens if you deviate from it.

More time spent playing with it, once weather improves, I think.

11. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    Sat Nav`s.......mmmmmmmmm.......I have a Garmin 660LM, went to northern Spain with it on my trusty Tiger, got off the ferry in Santandere heading towards Oreo, near Zarautz (not the chocolate biscuits:cool:) it took us into Bilbao....round & round we went for 20 minutes until it finally sorted itself out. 10 minutes later we ended up on a single track climbing away from the town but literally ended up down a short driveway & into someones back garden...still the damn thing was showing a road, yeah maybe in 203BC!!!.:p:p
    However, in its favour we did carry on to do 2,100 miles across Spain,Andorra & France without further a do, so yes they are good but I still don`t trust them 100%

• Like Like x 2
  12. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    You shouldn't have those problems if you create a route on myroute-app..If you are doing a long trip you would be better creating daily routes,it would take a fair bit of time but it would be worth it..as long as there are no road works or diversions on the route!:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  13. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I use the car sat nav (Tomtom Sat 25) :(

It doesn't allow you to plan any route. Maybe in summer I might upgrade it to Tomtom 5100.

14. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    Strange thing is....all 10 days of the routes were downloaded on the Sat nav. A mixture of RIDE magazine & mcn. As I said, the rest of the 2,090 miles were fine, just a small blip at the start.
    If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all....

15. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    #55 Dougie D, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    i guess the moral is if your'e going to download a route don't trust MCN OR Ride!..unless you edit them yourself;)..then again maybe your sat nav was just having a bad day!

16. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    If it's gonna malfunction electrically, it'll happen to me.
    I'm so unlucky, I have treats melt in my hand .......you'll only laugh (or maybe not) at this joke if you were a 60's kid

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    Just testing:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  18. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
  19. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    my Garmin seems to be playing up when I'm using it in normal use..(it works fine if i am using a route from myroutte-app), but if i just set it to go from A to B and if i take a slight detour it won't recalculate the route and i have to re set it again..anyone else had this problem?

20. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    silly question, is recalc setting on? I think when on this mode it doesn't bring you back onto route you were taking but recalcs the whole route. Maybe try connecting to computer to make sure it's got all the updates and a soft reset.