Triumph Daytona First Big Bike

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Padster, Feb 11, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Padster

Padster New Member

Feb 11, 2020
    Baton-upon-Humber
    Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum and I'm seeking at bit of advice.

I'm 48 and I've just passed my full bike license, I'm 5 foot 7 and I need some advice on my first bike if anybody can help?

I've been searching the internet for advice on my first bike and out of all the advice I keep steering towards the Kawasaki ER6F but on my search for bikes the Daytona 600, 650 and 675 keep popping up, I love the look of the Triumph and the reviews are spot onbut some sites are telling me their not ideal as a new rider?

Can anybody advise me?

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Padster
    Welcome to the family. Any bike is good it's your wrist that causes problems. That 675 is awesome and it talks it own language. Once ridden instantly addicted. Do let us all know how you get on.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hi Padster & Welcome :cool:, the 600 & 650 Daytona are both 4 cylinder bikes & a bit rev hungry, the 675 is a triple which is a much easier bike to ride, as @joe mc donald suggests have a look at the Street Triple 675 as well, they have been around quite a while in various forms so you should be able to get one in whatever your budget might be. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Padster

Padster New Member

Feb 11, 2020
    Baton-upon-Humber
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply, without sounding a bit wimpy would the Daytona work with handlebar Risers or would that spoil the ergonomics looks and feel of the ride? only reason I ask is I suffer from lower back problems, I learn't to ride on a Hornet and this never gave me any grief at all but my dream has always been a sports bike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Padster

Padster New Member

Feb 11, 2020
    Baton-upon-Humber
    Hi Billy,

I'll check out the Triple 675 thanks

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Hi and welcome in :)

I can only advise that you try to get as many test rides, on as many bikes, as you can. I think the Daytona 675 is a beautiful bike, and I'd choose that over the ER6F just because it is utterly gorgeous IMO. Get some test rides, and try different styles of bikes, a bike that you may not have considered may suprise you.

People may suggest that the Daytona (or any other powerful sports bike) is not suitable for new riders because if you dont excercise restraint without experience you could quite easily exceed your riding skill, and if you drop a fully faired bike it can be very expensive. However if you have a sensible approach, then larger capacity bikes can be a lot easier to ride, and more confidence inspiring than lower capacity bikes IMO.

Good luck with your decision :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Nothing wimpy about it. No I to had a hornet and find the street triple around the same level. And many peeps on here have changed bars to suit. And the street triple is no slouch it can motor enough to scare the life out of you and wheelie quite easy if you want it to.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Padster

Padster New Member

Feb 11, 2020
    Baton-upon-Humber
    Thanks, it's a minefield out there, do you think the 600, 650 or 675 would be more suited? there all beautiful bikes

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Oldfart

Oldfart Senior Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Staffs Moorlands
    Hi Padster

All I can say is I used to own a Daytona 675 and regret the day I sold it. If the right one for me came along I'd buy it!

When you buy one, and you must/will, like any new bike don't be frightened of it but fully respect it and you'll have the biggest continuous grin you can imagine. Don't expect to get your knee down for a while if you're that way inclined. I was over 60 and had no chicken strips on the rear tyre, that's how much I enjoyed it.

Have fun and be safe

Oldfart

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    I'd definitely go for the 675 (or any of the triples), its such a capable and flexible engine. As others have also suggested, I'd also recommend looking at the Street Triple it's a fantastic bike, and a test ride on one will most likely have you hooked ;). I'm 5'8" and I occasionally have lower back issues, but I find my Street very comfortable and could ride for hours without any discomfort. The triples are such versatile bikes, you can ride at whatever pace you like, they are happy pootling about or being a hooligan whatever your mood is.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Padster

Padster New Member

Feb 11, 2020
    Baton-upon-Humber
    Not a hooligan yet lol,
    It's the faired bikes that float my boat

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I see this question often. "What should I buy ?" Motorcycles are a very personal thing. They not only have to suit your disposition, they also have to fit your stature. They can also be outgrown [for example: I am not too much in to sport bikes at my age]. I would say, you need to be asking yourself the questions you are asking us. What do I want? …J.D.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hi Pastor, and welcome in :cool::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Welcome aboard Padster, great advice already been given, follow your heart and gut instinct to guide you to your first steed then enjoy the smiles per hour :p

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello Padster and welcome to the forum :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome... Good luck with your search for a bike. Like has been said before, test ride as many and different types of bikes before you make a decision on one to buy.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber