Triumph Antifreeze Hoat

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by alfie, Feb 25, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. alfie

alfie Getting older but still going for it
    Subscriber

Jan 27, 2018
    Bath, Zumerset
    Hi all,
    Has anyone been able to buy the Triumph recommended anti-freeze Pt NoA96100461?
    The part number is for a single litre. If you look at the cooling system parts slide on World of Triumph it is available as a box of 12 (A9610046) at a suitably huge price. This is the same as Fowlers parts.
    As a single item it is listed as 'No longer available'
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Alfie

2. 2Fast

2Fast Thrux ton-up

Feb 25, 2019
    North Yorkshire
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. alfie

Subscriber

Jan 27, 2018
    Bath, Zumerset
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Except Triumph don’t make the OE stuff - they source it and sell it and profit from its inflated price as do their dealers.

The spec is everything. Alloy engines the World over use OAT coolant. It is not exactly ‘special’. Your choice........

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. alfie

Subscriber

Jan 27, 2018
    Bath, Zumerset
    Thank you all for your input on this.
    I am struggling with obtaining a spec sheet for the Triumph antifreeze and have emailed them to see if they will furnish me with one. The old bottle I currently have has no data on the bottle at all. It would have been nice if they could have given me a bit of a clue. If they provide a spec sheet I will post it on the forum for further reference.
    Alfie

• Like Like x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    You won’t find a spec sheet. Funny that.......

You need a silicate free OAT mixed with distilled water. Prestone pre-mix @ £5 litre from Screwfix is fine. Colour is just that. - dye. Ethylene glycol and water are colourless. The silicate thing is about water pump preservation. Prestone uses phosphates. Triple QX from EuroCarParts is much the same.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    They all do the same basically dont let the IAT OAT HOAT fool you they all have the same properties for cooling its just that in recent years they have been developed to be slightly more compliant with both legislation and tailored to modern metals however that doesn't mean that you have to use a certain type or your engine with explode ...that's just what makers and manufactures of fluids want you to think granted some types dont like to be mixed in large quantities and can cause sludge but otherwise all engine types will be happy running all types of coolant.
    Just for instance i have run different types and non recommended coolants in a variety of engines for years at a time with no problems at all and wouldn't hesitate to do the same again without fear.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. alfie

Subscriber

Jan 27, 2018
    Bath, Zumerset
    #8 alfie, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Hi Peeps,
    Just an update on my email to Triumph.

As Callumity said, No Spec sheet in the reply.

The response to my email is attached:

'Thank you for your email and enquiry. Our Coolant Hybrid Oat is shipped to our Triumph Approved dealers in multiple packs 12 x 1lt bottles A9610046. Our Triumph dealers, then retail this to customers under Part A9610050 in litre bottles. These are available at Fowlers, please contact your local dealer to order.
    Thank you for your continued support of the Triumph Brand and we wish you many happy riding miles on your Street Twin.
    Kind regards,
    Louise
    Triumph GB'

So for information, the part number on Fowlers parts and World of Triumph (Pt NoA96100461) is now A9610050
    I think Fowlers have missed an opportunity for sales by not splitting a carton of 12 x 1litre or having the correct part number as a supersession. I have checked availability on the Fowler web site and 1lt bottles are on back order but they still have stock of the 12 x 1lt bottles. Very strange.
    As for me, I will take the advice you have all suggested and visit Screw Fix and buy there at half the price.
    Thanks for all the input
    Alfie

• Like Like x 4
  9. Gladtobebackontwowheels

Nov 23, 2019
    Dover. UK
    I've had Evans waterless coolant in my bike for years, expensive but brilliant. Seems to perform better in hot weather and traffic where the T595 can run a bit hot and never needs changing.

• Like Like x 3
  10. dreitopf

dreitopf Active Member

Feb 27, 2020
    Germany
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Great tip, thanks. Just ordered 2L. :)

12. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Hi there!
    Not sure which bike you have but is 2 litres enough?
    My speed triple is 2.8 litres but yours maybe less of course!!!
    From the manual below:
    CoolingSystemCapacity. .............................2.8 litres

13. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    According to the manual a Thruxton is 1.56L so should be fine.
    Cheers all the same :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. SpeedTwin1200

SpeedTwin1200 Senior Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    Hi Alfie,
    Looks like I should have gone to Screwfix too. Like you I wanted Triumph's own, just a top-up drop too, to match the colour and spec. I went to Destination T in Fareham where they use and sold me Silkolene Pro Cool (Sept 19). Eventually got the OEM stuff from Swindon, but no spec on either.

IMG_2897 copy.jpg

IMG_2900 copy.jpg