Triumph 900 Sprag Clutches

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by odinz, Jun 6, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. odinz

odinz Flightless

May 7, 2017
    hull
    Hello can anyone tell me if a 900 triple sprag clutch is the same as a 1200 trophy sprag clutch?
    They look the same in photos.

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Have a look in the parts section of www.worldoftriumph.com and check the part number(s). My guess is that they would be the same, but it is only a guess.:confused:

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. odinz

odinz Flightless

May 7, 2017
    hull
    Nice one steve i have a look but i think they same as well .

• Like Like x 1
  4. odinz

odinz Flightless

May 7, 2017
    hull
    Just went on it all numbers are the same. Cheers for the heads up i can save a bit on parts now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  5. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    There are 2 types depending on what idle gear you are running. There appears to be no rhyme or reason which you have. You can only tell once it is apart.
    Clive Wood does engine masterclass's showing you how to strip a t3 motor, usually during the winter

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. odinz

odinz Flightless

May 7, 2017
    hull
    Yes your right,ive got spare motor half apart already not quite too sprag yet as ive got bike in parts changing wheels ,front end etc but i will get there.Cheers for your input.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Miles hewitt

Miles hewitt New Member

Sep 9, 2017
    Melton mowbray
    Just a note really most people seem to think that you can't fit the Larger sprag clutch into an early engine without an engine out strip as it is slightly larger. There is a tool available that allows you to machine out the crankcase while the engine is still in the frame. Basically just take the covers off and parts until you can remove the sprag use the tool and fit new later sprag and reassemble. The only tricky bit is catching the swarf and not allowing it to fall into the sump. I have done a few for the local lads and its well under a day and parts are around £130

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I did this job to a customers bike when I worked in a motorcycle workshop and you're right catching the swarf is obviously the most important part of the job
    I did it by jamming greasy rags in there and the swarf sticks to the grease :)
    Worked a treat :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  9. Miles hewitt

Miles hewitt New Member

Sep 9, 2017
    Melton mowbray
    Yep that was my solution as well great minds

• Agree Agree x 2