Trident Project

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by robkent, Jun 21, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    looking good :)

2. robkent

robkent Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Kent, UK
    Thanks....got a bit more done on the frame today.....fairly happy with it and so far, no major cock ups!

002 (2).JPG

• Like Like x 1
  3. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Looks great, what steel are you using for the frame?

4. robkent

Jun 12, 2017
    Kent, UK
    For this first try out I'm just using ordinary erw tubing....the bike will be rideable but nothing you'd trust long term. Fairly sure there'll be some major alterations along the way so once everything is sorted I'll then make a copy using decent tube...

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cafe Hinckley

Cafe Hinckley Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    Have a look in my post - i used a 3in1 from Ian at CRK and although a tight fit it works a treat. It even has a connection for the engine breather so is very tidy.

6. Tal

Tal Active Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Milton Keynes
    Looks great Rob keep the updates coming.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. robkent

Jun 12, 2017
    Kent, UK
    Yes, thanks, I saw that (have been reading your thread) but its a bit too wide so now going to make an airbox, similar to the original one but with a bit more volume.....probably using the stock filter.....mainly as the bike came with a new K & N!
    Couple of questions....someone just told me that early motors were built by Cosworth....is that right? If so, I need some stickers for the fairing.....also he said the middle carb is jetted differently from the outer ones.....must buy a manual soon!
    Anyhow, had a free day today so lots of progress....and only one...well two....minor design cockups....

tr13.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  8. robkent

Jun 12, 2017
    Kent, UK
    Some more progress....

tr20.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  9. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    • Like Like x 1
  10. robkent

Jun 12, 2017
    Kent, UK
    Yes thanks it is....I picked up a Haynes this morning but thats way better!
    Also made a start on the airbox....

tr24.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  11. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Looking good - great pics :cool:

12. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Looks really good.
    Can you access the valve clearances without removing the engine. Knowing how much the inlets can be prone to closing up it could be a concern.
    The main reason we rejected the 1st spondon frame. Then we found out because it was built around their GSXR750 frame the weight bias was front heavy.

13. robkent

Jun 12, 2017
    Kent, UK
    I forgot to see if the cam cover would come out but suspect not....its all stripped again now so will find out later! It was a bit of a toss up wether to have the tubes where I wanted them or allow clearance....and in the end it was a bit of both.....my thinking though was its going to be a fairly basic bike so not a huge amount of work to undo some bolts and pivot the frame up a bit to give room.
    Same goes for geometry, engine placement etc, this one is all stock bar a half degree difference in head angle but I find it easiest to build something, discover what can be improved and then make a better version....with the Honda single frames I made 4 slightly different ones before I was happy with the way it handled.....!
    Interested to hear you thought it a bit front end heavy as I was thinking the same....once I have this one running I'll see what effect a shorter swingarm has on it though before I play around with engine position....can't find them right now but have some figures on that somewhere...!

• Like Like x 3
  14. robkent

Jun 12, 2017
    Kent, UK
    Back from holiday so back to the Trident....holiday wasn't a total waste of time though as I managed to pick up a pair of Tiger wheels for £40!!
    Rear seems to be a straight fit....same spindle and spacer sizes as the Trident, though I didn't get a disc with the wheel so not certain if any fiddling is going to be involved there....
    Re weights etc....I did a mock up of everything (bar the fairing) before I stripped it and it came out at 171kgs dry, 56% on the front wheel.
    Now completely stripped, and made a brace to hopefully stop it distorting too much as I finish weld it but will check it at Motoliner before assembly....

002.JPG

008.JPG

001.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  15. robkent

Jun 12, 2017
    Kent, UK
    Waiting for the frame to come back from motoliner I amused myself checking the motor over and giving it a paint and clean up....
    Usually doing that I get a bit overexcited and just can't resist painting some bits gold or bright red or something but this time I managed to restrain my urges....

2420.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  16. robkent

Jun 12, 2017
    Kent, UK
    Frame came back on Friday and got a quick paint... no twist in it but had curled in a bit at the bottom mounts from the heat.....no bad thing though really as it gives a nice tight fit, had to spring it out by a couple of mm using a bit of studding and all the bolts lined up!
    Halfway through making the tank as well....

002 (2).JPG

004 (2).JPG

011.JPG

• Like Like x 7
  17. robkent

Jun 12, 2017
    Kent, UK
    Some more progress.....

002 (3).JPG

003 (3).JPG

011 (3).JPG

• Like Like x 4
  18. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Looks very very nice work.

19. robkent

Jun 12, 2017
    Kent, UK
    Got a lot more done over the last few days....making the new wiring loom at present.....with a bit of luck should be able to fire it up in a week or so....see what the £15 a pair silencers from Kempton jumble sound like!!

004 (4).JPG

002 (4).JPG

005 (5).JPG

006 (3).JPG

• Like Like x 2
  20. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Every time you post pictures on here it just gets better :)
    Can't wait to see it finished mate
    Lovely job so far :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3