Trident 750

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by tinytech, Apr 8, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tinytech

tinytech New Member

Apr 8, 2017
    Hampshire
    Hi everyone, new here and need some help, just got my 1st brit bike and hit a problem.
    The problem i have on trident 750 think its a 96 canadian import to uk in 2000, have some paperwork say it has sprint 900 carbs fitted in uk, runs sweet as a nut but i cant rev past 8k in any gear, where should i start looking, thanks Dave

• Like Like x 1
  2. tinytech

tinytech New Member

Apr 8, 2017
    Hampshire
    Thanks Dozers runs sweet but not doing what my trumpet guys say

3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum - I'm sure stevethegoolie wil have some ideas

• Like Like x 1
  4. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Feck me!!!:eek: How did you do that DD??:confused: Far too clever for me!:p

Right ... to business. A 750 Trident should rev to north of 10,000rpm i.e. just over max power. The fact that it doesn't in ANY gear suggests a restrictor of some description. Carbs should be 3 x 36mm Mikunis - at least they were when mine was built (1995). When it hits 8000rpm does it misfire? If so I would say that the restrictor is within the ignition system. However, I would also be tempted to check that it is breathing okay (air filter etc) and that the carbs are opening fully although this would be more evident in higher gears. After that I'm struggling a bit.
    You could perhaps have a word with a long standing dealer such as Jack Lilley who may be able to advise you on ignition system variations (if there are any) for other countries, or you could even try ringing Triumph themselves.
    Also, someone such as Ivan at National Triumph in Wolverhampton - he runs an ebay shop selling used Triumph spares - may be able to advise you on the mysteries of various ignition systems ... and sell you a good ecu if needs be (new ones seem to be north of £400 - www.worldoftriumph.com parts section).
    An alternative source of bits could be www.triumph-ant.co.uk in S.Wales. Not used either of them myself but they do seem to be okay to deal with.
    My gut feeling is that you could well be right about it being restricted for a foreign market, though apart from emission control systems for California and possibly Switzerland there is nothing obvious that I could find.
    Anyone you know got a similar bike that you could swap a few bits about to see if you can find the problem? Just a thought.
    Good luck with it and I hope I have been of some help. You know where I am if needed!:eek:

• Like Like x 6
  5. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Told you! :D

• Like Like x 4
  6. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Bugger!! Am I really that predictable???:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 4
  7. tinytech

tinytech New Member

Apr 8, 2017
    Hampshire
    Thanks steve its a canadian import i got email from previous owner saying mukunis where sealed in canada so mixture cant be messed with, when he brought it to uk he put keihin carbs on from a 900 sprint, it ride nice to me but a friend took for blast and it will not rev past 8k about 80mph boggs down tried 5th gear no change, as its my 1st brit bike these are meant to be gd little bikes, i had a 1980 cb900f that did similar that was fuel starve could it be same thing

8. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi tinytech & welcome

9. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    As the 'new' carbs are from a slightly bigger engine there may well be fuelling issues with them, although they should still be 36mm. It just seems strange (to me at least) that it will not rev out in lower gears if it is purely a carb problem. An 8k rev ceiling in all gears seems like it has been 'built in'. To be honest I've not heard of this problem before. If you are in touch with the previous owner you could perhaps ask him if it was like it when he had it - before or after the carbs were fitted. At least it would possibly give you a clue.
    These bikes ARE good and well worth persevering with! I've had mine (a 900) from new in August '95 and still haven't come up with a valid reason to change it (although I did have a Daytona 955i CE running alongside it for over 10 years). I guess we will just grow old together - oh yes, I already have ... the wife tells me!
    Just keep the battery fully charged to save starter sprag clutch issues, change the oil regularly and use Redex or similar to keep the carbs clean. A K&N air filter will not go amiss, as getting the airbox off and on again is donkey work!:eek:

• Like Like x 3
  10. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I can vouch for that! :mad:

11. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum Tinytech
    Nice start, a good technical problem thrown in.

12. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    #12 Havit, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    My thought on this is has someone fitted the wrong CDI unit to the bike.

Welcome anyway good luck with sorting the problem .

13. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Yes it is :eek:. Must be a first:rolleyes:. I must be slacking . And yes your right I think this Gloria thing has run its course. I will put my dresses away and become a man again. ADE WILL BE SAD. But he rides a BMW so his used to being disappointed .:oops::D:D:D

• Like Like x 2
  14. tinytech

tinytech New Member

Apr 8, 2017
    Hampshire
    Thanks for all ur comments guys, had a thought today while riding it still i love it, i had cb900f bol dor with similar wouldnt rev past 5k that turned ou 2 main jet clogged could this be same thing as my honda guru says main jets dont kick in till certain revs, is it worth pulling the carbs out and see what jet size are in or blocked, if i can get some info what would work in these keihins off the sprint 900. thanks again everyone

• Like Like x 1
  15. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    For what it costs stick a goodly slug of Redex or similar in the petrol and see if it cleans the carbs out if you think that may be the problem. If it does sort it out you will have saved yourself an awful lot of work. If it doesn't then you haven't (I'm good at stating the bleedin' obvious!).
    It is not unheard of for these carbs to clog up a bit if left unused for a while.

16. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Makes sence, Is the inside of the tank Rusty? The petrol we use now days makes shit of your tank.

17. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    Check the vacuum pipe that runs up to the fuel tap it might cause a problem if it s got a leak

18. tinytech

tinytech New Member

Apr 8, 2017
    Hampshire

19. tinytech

tinytech New Member

Apr 8, 2017
    Hampshire
    ur not going to believe this spent half a day getting to the carbs, carb1 nice n clean carb2 nice clean carb3 nice clean BUT THERE WAS NO MAIN JET IN THERE LOL

• Like Like x 4
  20. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Now that might be the problem:D:D