Traction Control, Abs, Do You Leave Yours Turned On?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Hippo-Drones, Oct 21, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hippo-Drones

Hippo-Drones Noble Member

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    On a recent ride I pondered to myself about how much we rely on rider aids and had my camera rolling so turned it into a video. Do you leave it on or turn them off? Do you think they are really required?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hippo-Drones

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    I remember my GSXR750, my 1050 Speed Triple, Ducati Sport Classic 1000, Husky supermoto, Ducati Monster.... all not killing me and they all had no rider aids other than footpegs, seat and controls... I def feel I have gotten soft in recent years, and although very rarely have any of them kicked in on recent bikes, I do feel I now have less confidence in my ability!

• Like Like x 1
  3. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    #3 tcbandituk, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    No option on the Bonnie, it's too old school.
    I tend to turn off the TC on the Speed RS, makes it more fun :p

• Like Like x 1
  4. Baben

Baben Active Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Watton
    Had one accident where ABS would have saved me - and it happened just after I had done a braking course with i2i. Have had TC cut in a couple of times on wet leaves on a bend and once when crossing a ford. Saved my underpants anyway.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    If it wasn't for Rosies electronic pack I'd of been deed this year.
    Went round a corner quite hot and hit a load of hoss sh@t spread out in the road, all i can say is they work.
    Never before have I felt like any bike I've owned has got your back..... until now. I flippen love my rs.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Hippo-Drones

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    I think this is the stance I agree with the most, folk who only have ridden modern bikes are going to struggle on older bikes with possibly worse tyres too so grip is even less! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hippo-Drones

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    When I had my Kawasaki ZX636R which had ABS/TC, I left it turned on at Brands on a trackday, and having the ABS on meant I had the confidence to brake so much later and harder, as I assumed if I got beyond grip it would let me know, I never had it kick in, but I did end up boiling the brake fluid and ended up with brake fade by the end of one session, so it did teach me more about what I could get away with, but after the brakes fading, it left me wondering if the ABS actually worked! lol. Have had ABS save a front slide for me on several other bikes though! :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hippo-Drones

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    The thing is, I was always a very early braker, I just had the false sense of security to try harder