Tps And Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Pike, Oct 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Pike

Pike Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Bristol
    Brilliant. Great minds think alike. Already found this and the info is great. Understand more what has been done previously. For my set up it recommends 115 main 40 pilot 2.75 turns out (awaiting D tool from TTP to check before removing for cleaning) 1 X 0.5mm shim under needle and slide air hole 3mm. The air hole had previously been opened up to 3mm so some form of tuning has been attempted. From sitting previously, the carbs are really covered in detritus. Amazing it ran at all. Keep updated and thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WOODYDEL

WOODYDEL Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2018
    Pike, what bike are you riding

4. WOODYDEL

WOODYDEL Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2018
    What would a TPS be on a carburetor be used by on the bike? I'm in the USA and never saw TPS on carbs. Obviously your side of the world is quite different from here. You can replace TPS. You zero it out while on the bike using voltage output on the TPS cable. Key on engine not running. Any bike I have it is set at .6 volts. done. TPS is usually 113 bucks at 2wheelpros. They wear out internally.

5. Pike

Pike Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Bristol
    T100 865 carb Bonneville. 2006 year

6. Pike

Pike Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Bristol
    I am sure there are far more technically qualified forum members who can answer this but I believe its something to do with emissions? More efficient burn etc. Cdi supplying info to ignition system perhaps to make sparking more efficient. Should be getting on with ultrasonic cleaning the carbs and rebuilding this week. Let you know how I get on.

7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    On carbed bikes throttle position and engine speed are combined to adjust the ignition curve. Old fashioned distributors used bob weights whereas the igniter effectively uses look up tables. Efi uses even more sensors from manifold pressure to lambda sensor in the exhaust hence an ECU of computeriness.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Pike

Pike Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Bristol
    Used the Ultrasonic Cleaner for the first time. Very good results. Invested in a cheap compressor too, to make sure all passageways are clear. Will hopefully assemble tomorrow and set up as per jenks bolts performance parts.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Once you are up and running you might consider pulling the rubber schnorkel on the air filter cover (unless you plan on riding in torrential rain......it will soak a paper filter) and if it improves mid range torque profile the lip with ordinary silicone. One thick circuit left to dry then a more carefully moulded rampart to smooth airflow like a bellmouth. You can then save up for a pukka Breathe.

10. Pike

Pike Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Bristol
    Assembled carbs in clean environment. Set up and installed. I love how easy it is to install and remove the carbs. Set up my workshop fuel tank, installing an inline fuel filter to keep fuel supply clean.
    Started full choke on the button. A bit rough till warmed up having to make several adjustments to get an idle. When fully warm put the vacuum gauges on cylinder side carb intakes and balanced. They were way out. Once set adjusted idle and removed vacuum gauges installing the rubber cap bungs.
    Ran it a bit more and was a little hesitant when flipping the throttle if left to idle for a while. If reved instantaneously, no hesitation.
    So disconnected TPS to see if this would make a difference. It did. No hesitation.
    Even though I set the TPS as per my markings pre dismantling, I'm guessing need a final adjustment. Ran out of time today.
    It seemed to rev better through the range but can't be 100% sure.
    Next job is to clean out the fuel tank then if and when weather improves will test ride.
    Hopefully with this extensive carb clean and rebuild and the complete New ignition components, the initial misfire and subsequent break down fault when hot is cured....we shall see.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Pike

Pike Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Bristol
    Ok...So had some more time and checked out TTP advice on resistance setting of TPS.
    Fiddly to say the least! Readings were blue to yellow wire closed throttle set to 4.42k as per spec. Fully open throttle around 1.27k, fluctuates every time you rotate throttle. Spec 1.38k so slightly under.
    Check yellow to black. Closed throttle around 0.92k spec 0.81k so over. Fully open throttle around 3.80k, spec 3.96k. So again, slightly under. Are my readings within an acceptable range?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Pretty close and you won’t get it much better from an analogue device. I would be happy with those numbers. Who says your ohmmeter is spot on?!

The TPS comes into its own once you are on the road and the engine is under load. Static running and blipping the throttle requires no great ignition retardation unlike hills with late changing down!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Pike

Pike Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Bristol
    Great. Will plug TPS back in then and see how it goes. Thanks Callumity!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Pike

Pike Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Bristol
    Well...tank has been sitting all day with cleaner in it and "regular " agitation as per instructions. Rinsed and blown dry. Nice and clean inside now. There was a lot of muck in there especially accumulated around the fuel tap filters. The cleaner came out looking like brown ale! Will fit cleaned and blown through fuel tap with new seals then should be good to go....wish I could say the same for the weather. Hopefully with all work done misfire and rough running should be cured.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Your description almost makes me nostalgic......almost!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Pike

Pike Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Bristol
    So, if you can recall, what was the cause of your misfire/rough running? Fitted tank and popped couple litres fuel in and seems leak free. So all don (so far) bar the test ride....Fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The primary cause was the ignition coil. It misfired below 3000 rpm once warm. The dirt in the fuel system created intermittent starvation and chugging too. I found the exhaust balance pipe masked which side the fuelling problem lay and convinced me the left pot had the electrical problem until I felt both pipes were equally hot.......

18. Pike

Pike Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Bristol
    Oh...seems like you had mixture of problems. Re the TPS, I have one fitted on my Yamaha derived Bobber. Going back through old notes on that I had adjusted it when re installing after a carb overhaul. This was back in 13 so at my age, memory not what it was and had forgotten all about it! Any how, Yamaha list a tolerance resistance range with the ideal settings being the same as the Triumph. My readings, taking into account the accuracy of my multi meter, are well within tolerance.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Pike

Pike Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Bristol
    See also my Pick up coil thread.
    Break in this bleak Blighty weather and managed the dreaded test ride. Bike runs superb! Guessing it was a fuelling problem. Combination of dirty contaminated carbs and tank combined with a poor setup? Anyhow,thanks all for the interest and much appreciated advice during this journey.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Excellent result - persistence pays off!