Tough Classic Style Boots?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by MartyWilson, Aug 21, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JayScram

JayScram Member

Apr 24, 2019
    Warrington
    Yeah there's probably more cases of it out there. Got mine through SBS as usual great service from them, not sure if I want to bother sending back while they send off etc etc. May just self repair or take to timpsons for a zip, whilst looking for a similar sturdier boot. Shame really, boots suit perfectly.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Yep I was the same, I thought about looking into getting it sorted but decided to return them and get another pair from M&P. Instead they refunded me what I paid, less postage, saying that Merlin weren't doing them any more (I wonder why!) So I was left out thirty quid in postage (including my costs to return them) and with no boots. It's a real pisser that the 100 quid MX boots I bought because I thought, given what they are meant for, they would be tough fell apart in less than an hours riding. J&S told me I can take them to their nearest bricks and mortar shop for refund or replacement but even that's a pain in the ass plus about fifteen quid in petrol so I probably won't bother and just put it down to experience. J&S have now been added to my 'shitlist' of companies who can't be trusted to sell you good gear though. First time I used them and it will be the last time I use them. When you are dealing with buying motorcycling safety gear online you have to be able to trust that it's fit for purpose.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    They look like they might be well made and practical for the intended purpose... but not my style @Sandi T. , a bit too dominatrix for my liking :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    if I could click two rating emoji’s, the other one would be “Informative”, Mr.B! ;):joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. MyEvilTwin

MyEvilTwin Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Sugartown Cabaret
    #26 MyEvilTwin, Aug 22, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    I run ICON HP 1000s. They have that 70s moto-dirt look. I bought them for function and that they resemble 1979 Mad Max gear - my all time favorite movie.

These boots are heavy duty. Thick sole and structured leather. I recommend buying a half-size larger than your shoe size. This allows flex for the side zips, and pant leg tuck.The zips are smaller, but the trick with this style is NEVER force anything, just back-off any tension, and restart the zipping. The calves snug up pretty good once zipped to the top. The boots take some time to break-in however, so if you get them don't freak out on the initial rigidity. And YES they become comfortable enough to walk in, so don't believe the reviews. You also may have to adjust your shift lever to accommodate the high toe box.

I think they look the shit, tho. Love them.

icon_boot_elsinore_hp_black.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  7. Mark Gilgallon

Mark Gilgallon Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Dublin Ireland
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Nice boots, but by the time Marty has fastened them up he would have forgotten why he put them on in the first place :D

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

• Funny Funny x 5
  10. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    +1 for @Tiglet recommending Altberg boots. Bought mine over 20 years ago and still wear them regularly to this day. Even my delinquent nephew couldn't destroy them a few years back, although it looked like he'd had a bloody good try when he finally returned them! Probably as close to bombproof as you can get IMHO.

• Like Like x 2
  11. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

I have a pair of Altberg BA combat boots and they are good. Used to love the old model Pro-boots but they've been phased out so I moved to the Altbergs for hiking and the like and they are good. They still look new even though they have seen some heavy use, but I am looking for a pull-on and buckle up number with no zips. My thinking is that a strong, long MC boot strapped tightly around your leg will give tons of support to both the leg and the ankle and foot in the event of an off that a shin length lace-up or a zipped boot just won't offer. A bonus is that you hardly ever/never see anyone wearing the style I'm looking for and I hate being one of the herd so that will suit me down to the ground.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MyEvilTwin

MyEvilTwin Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Sugartown Cabaret
    #32 MyEvilTwin, Aug 23, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    Best part....the straps are set and forget. Zips are all that is needed. Closest copy to Jim "the Goose" pair! lol. I ride the wasteland looking for guzzaline.

13. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
  14. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Nice look those Sidi boots but, having just destroyed a pair of plastic covered boots simply by wearing the damn things I am wary of buying anything in that line again. You know where you are with leather.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    I have a pair of those Derriboots...great.
    I do a winter trip to Belgium each year....if it's very cold and wet I wear the Derris. Always warm and dry feet.
    I have a friend who used to be in the ' immediate response' team at a Scottish prison. When he saw my Derris he fondly recalled these as official issue for dealing with the dirty protests.
    Hmmm. Such pedigree.
    By I share your frustration at trying to get sturdy simple bike boots. I'm still looking as my existing pair will be due for replacement next year...they all seem these days to last two winters then they're trash.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Doc Strange

Doc Strange Senior Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK
    I like Sidi boots - on my third pair in succession, all year @8000 mpa, averaging 6 years out of a pair and they have performed really well.

When I needed to replace my last pair, didn't even bother looking at alternatives as I knew what I wanted and what size so just ordered online.

DS

• Like Like x 2
  17. GaleForceEight

GaleForceEight Noble Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    Sidi Scramble look like they would fit what you want.

https://www.ghostbikes.com/23819-sidi-scramble-rain-motorcycle-boots.html

That said, I use Black Rogues as a mid length boot which are great for my wide feet. Several years of use and not a single issue with straps breaking, comfortable boots for riding and walking in. They do a taller version here....

https://www.ghostbikes.com/5264-black-rebel-adventure-motorcycle-boots.html

Other options might be the TCX Baja, but I found the TCX boots I have had for 10 years+ needed quite a lot of breaking in to be comfortable because they aren’t formed quite wide enough for my feet from the factory!

https://www.ghostbikes.com/23739-tcx-baja-gore-tex-leather-motorcycle-boots.html

• Like Like x 4
  18. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    • Like Like x 1
  19. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

This may sound strange but one of my big issues is the soles. Call me weird but I like a traditional 'Commando' pattern sole that can easily be replaced when it wears out (I used to have a pair of boots that even had screws securing the soles that lasted a long time and, when the soles wore out you just bought a new pair and screwed and glued them on. Plain and simple looks (apart from the straps) without bits of plastic and rubber all over them. The only reason I want straps is that I believe that a boot which is tightened on your legs will give additional protection for your ankles in an accident. At the moment I am wearing a pair of old black rigger boots which have that really tough full grain leather the army used to use for 'Ammo' boots and commando soles that can be ripped off and replaced with ease, should they ever need it. I would just like taller ones that would be a bit more secure on the leg. The key is that I want a length that comes to a couple of inches beneath the knee and a boot that is tough, will last as long as I will and is plain black, or dark brown without any fancy bits of furniture stuck on for no particular reason other than to look 'cool'.

20. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    • Like Like x 1