Total Triumph

Discussion in 'Dealers & Workshop Reviews' started by Iceman, Feb 24, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    Nothing to do with a Triumph bike another manufacturer in 2013 ish.
    I purchased a bike from a main dealer. Only ever used the bike in the dry.
    One night coming home from work on the motorway the front brake locked up like someone ramming a pole through the front wheel.
    I went over the handle bars and owing to time of night, a rucksack, no vehicle behind me and not colliding with a crash barrier escaped with minor injury.
    I paid for a forensic inspection of the bike it unearthed a catalogue of failings that the dealer should have addressed during the immediate service prior to sale. The findings were damning on top of the relevant findings they added additional irrelevant evidence proving the brake fluid was outside minimum safe limits as the boiling point was too low. 3 years later I received a settlement.
    I always wonder should I have been killed would this have been picked up on or would rider error have been to blame?
    My point to the story is to highlight that professional witnesses are readily available to assist bikers and that as long as you are 100% satisfied rider error isnt to blame them u stand to win.
    In the case of this thread a similar approach can be adopted following purchase of a bike

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. El Janners

El Janners New Member

May 4, 2022
    Somerset
    Thanks to @Col_C, @Iceman and @Adie P for your responses to my post.
    Interesting that Total's 'owner reply' to my Google review is as follows:

Just need to provide the actual facts here. You required brake pads at a service, and we managed to squeeze that in for you with a busy working day.
    Unfortunately due to lack of ever cleaning the bike, really we should have held onto the bike, and charged for a full front brake caliper(s) rebuild too, but went with pads only.
    The calipers were not free enough, and continued to bind on the new pads, so we have at short notice got it in and stripped and rebuilt the calipers for you and charged you around 1/3 the true charge for this work. We also cleaned all rivets on discs as again lack of cleaning meant they were not floating correctly.
    You will need to maintain and clean your bike to stop it requiring this again on a yearly basis - this is down to you, preventative cleaning and maintenance will save you a lot in the long run.

Patronising or what? Also 1/3 the true charge was still £142, so they are saying £426 to fit pads? If they really were stripped and rebuilt, why did it take the mechanic two hours to fix the binding when I took it back due to the 'being filthy'?

So appears it is all my fault for having a Triumph I actually use five days a week for eight months of the year (5000 miles) rather than dry Sunday afternoons and the rest of the week cleaning and looking at it - not that there is anything wrong with that, but I like to actually ride the thing whenever I can, especially as 16 of my daily miles is down the relatively deserted, fast and twisty old South Molton/Bampton road. It does also get cleaned every w/e when I have been riding in the wet.

Did get a call from Neil in response to my email which was decent of him. It was a civilised conversation and he assured me that he was certain the problem was that the bike was cleaned by them before I collected it and then leaving it in the garage for the next ten days before using it, caused the brakes to bind due to the moisture from the wash. I have no way of proving this as all I noticed (due to not backing the bike up at any stage) on the way home was the spongy response, which was not there before the work - brake fluid having been replaced by them in a main service they did in July 2021.
    Suggested they should have warned me of this potential problem with new pads and I would not have left it sitting for so long.
    He also said getting and retaining technicians was a nightmare for him and from now on they would only be servicing bikes sold by them as they were under so much pressure.
    Not that I needed another nudge, given my experience, and following the recomendations in these threads, I had Brummers help me out with a rear puncture at the end of last week. They were excellent. Claire phoned back promptly, had the bike dropped there next day by recovery and Paul squeezed in doing it the same day. Also replaced worn rear pads and there is no spongyness or binding! Have booked my next MOT and 20K service with them and feel confident of the job being done well. Hopefully this will also avoid the twice yearly £400 a pop complete brake service (or complete system replacement - £1200, including discs) each year Total said I would be advised to do rather than the cleaning. All because 5 of my daily miles are down narrow lanes.
    Apart from the odd puncture, hope to have no more mechanical dramas!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    I’ve had three brand new Triumphs (two of which were 1200’s) from Total Triumph recently without any problems with the bikes or the servicing and and am looking to replace my latest one shortly.
    However if this is what is to be expected when something goes wrong I think I’d be better off giving my money to someone other than Mr Mossman.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Unless there's a very good reason to think otherwise, surely your geographical location would seem to suggest that Fowlers are a far better prospect than TOTAL for a brand new Triumph and its subsequent servicing?

My experience with TOTAL would definitely not see them on any list of potential suppliers to me personally - YMMV.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chopper1%

Chopper1% New Member

Dec 26, 2023
    Ilminster, Somerset
    Well, lets get the New Year off to a good start ..... with a battle. Just about to load the bike up into a van and take it, plus the keys and documents over to Total Triumph. I have emailed all of their address's with my complaint. I will save emailing Triumph UK until I am aware of the outcome of my visit today. Really don't want to have to do this but Total Triumph have left me no other option.

This should be fun.

Chopper

• Like Like x 1
  6. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Fingers, toes (and anything else that can be) crossed that you get this sorted out and get some satisfaction from TOTAL. But that's really more hope than expectation ................

7. Chopper1%

Chopper1% New Member

Dec 26, 2023
    Ilminster, Somerset
    OK, I mentioned earlier today, that I had emailed Craig Piper (Sales Manager) before taking the bike back to them. Excuse the length of the email, but I was advised to be detailed in my first contact via email:

Reference: Triumph Bonneville T100, Reg No: MX05 KGE.
    Dear Craig
    As you are aware, I exchanged my Rocket 111 for the above mentioned bike on 23/10/2023. I test rode the bike and was very happy with it to begin with. MX05 KGE at the time of exchange was £5000. (NOTE THE VALUE, IMPORTANT LATER)
    Approximately three weeks after taking delivery of the new bike, I encountered a problem that has got progressively worse. Anything up to approximately 3000 RPM, the bike misfired, stuttered and held back. I came to see Julian and explained the problem to him. Gabby then arranged for the bike to be examined about 3 weeks later. I went to some lengths to explain the problem and that I was 99% certain that the problem was caused by the carbs pilot jet. The bike was collected by Julian on the evening of 6th December. When the bike was returned, I was assured that the bike was fine and the fuel system, including the carbs, had been checked that the problem was solved. I was told that the problem was “bad fuel”!
    I returned to you shortly after this escapade and explained the problem was still there. You decided that you were the most appropriate person to test ride the bike. On your return you offered an absolutely nonsensical explanation, pure drivel, by saying that there wasn’t a fault and that I should keep the bike in lower gears and higher revs. Then I should ride the bike for some time to get more used to it and “See if the problem continues”. Your colleague “Gabby” also confirmed your assessment and telling me that I need to learn to ride Triumphs and that they need to be ridden with higher revs. I somehow managed to restrain myself whilst being extremely annoyed. Basically, being told I do not know how to ride a bike (that is nothing special. A virtually standard production model) was rather insulting.
    Just for the record. I had my first bike on my fourth birthday. I have never not owned at least one ever since, I am now 64 years old. I have lost count of the number of bikes I have owned. Lost count of the number of custom bikes and trikes that I have built, some of them going on to win shows and be featured in magazines. I have performed numerous motorcycle stunts for charity and have been on TV doing so.
    I Drag Raced at the top levels and set up Team Yamaha Drag Racing, the first officially sponsored drag race team in Europe. I have ridden numerous different bikes in every European country, Cyprus, Kenya, Canada and the USA. I am a retired qualified DVSA approved bike instructor. My workshop is better equipped then that of your Dealership. I currently own 4 other bikes. I also have a full clean licence. I really don’t think I need a so called salesman and an administrator to tell me how to ride a motorbike.
    When the problem first arose, I was advised by Julian, not to attempt any repairs myself as by doing so, my 6 months parts & labour warranty would be void. Hence, all I have done is check the oil, lubricated the chain and clean the bike. Then tried to ride it.
    After leaving your premises as yet another very dissatisfied customer. I made several attempts to ride the bike. One entire weekend was completely ruined by the fact that it cut out completely on a major roundabout. I was very lucky not get hit by the articulated lorry that was following me. Having lost all confidence in the bike and not trusting it to be able to make the journey I was planning, I returned home. I had been on my way to meet up with friends. Those friends were also very annoyed that I was not able to make the meet up point and did in fact offer to come with me when I was able to contact/visit you again.

Once again, I had to exercise great self restraint because of a faulty bike that you and your employers supplied, with a 6 month Parts & Labour Warranty, appear unable and certainly unwilling to repair. By this point in this sorry saga, you are already in breach of your Warranty Terms & Conditions. You are also in breach of the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

So now we move onto the next part of this tale of very sad incompetence and extremely bad customer service. (Obviously a totally alien concept to Total Triumph). I returned much aggrieved, once again and once again I had to explain that the problem was still there and making the bike very hard work to ride, especially in town, slow moving traffic/filtering.

The bike was booked in for Wednesday 20th December. On this journey the bike cut out three times. Gabby and Connor arranged for me to have the bike “Looked at” AGAIN. I sat in the showroom for over and hour and a half while the bike was being “Looked at”. I was then invited into the hallowed ground of your workshop to see that my bike had the fuel tank and carbs removed. Gabby then proceeded to show me the carb float bowls which looked like they had been dipped in a sandbox or mud bath. (I had explained several weeks before, that the problem was most likely to be a carb problem). Why was this issue NOT picked up the first time the bike came in? Most likely because instead of doing the job properly, you tried to cut corners and blame the first thing that could be seen as the cause of the fault. Any self respecting repair shop would know that if there is contamination in the fuel, the whole system needs to be stripped cleaned re-assembled and reset using vacuum gauges.

I then got a second dose of nonsense from Gabby about ordering parts etc. She did however arrange for me to have a lift home. Dave was very polite, friendly and professional on the drive home.

Dave delivered the bike back to me on Friday 22nd December 2023. Dave assured me that everything was ok and that he had test ridden the bike. I fired up the bike, on choke and let it idle for a few seconds. It sounded ok on choke and Dave was clearly keen to get on his way. I pushed the bike into the workshop and went about my day.

That same evening, I went to go out on the bike and as soon as the bike was off choke, there was EXACTLY the same problem again. Only this time when I stopped at a junction, the bike just died as I went to pull away. Trying to ride the bike into Taunton, to say I was spitting blood and feathers is an understatement. Six visits to your premises concerning this issue is beyond a joke. TWICE the bike has been in your workshop to solve this issue. You are supposed to be a main dealer and know the bikes you supply. As it was late you had closed for the day, so I was unable to contact you that evening.
    Saturday 23rd December, I first spoke to several other traders that are good friends of mine. They all said virtually the same thing and offered advice on how to deal with this issue. I then had the absolute delight of calling you and the call was answered by Gabby, what a delight… NOT! Her attitude was at best off hand. She clearly did not give a damn, couldn’t wait to get off the phone and was not in the least bit interested in anything I had to say or offer any kind of solution other than to say wait till the New Year.

I had planned to use the bike to go away to Norfolk for Christmas with old club brothers. That plan was totally ruined by Total Triumph’s total incompetence and appalling customer service.

So now here we are, New Year and the same problem, all of this is your fault. The lies and purely fabricated nonsense you spouted after test riding the bike are either your way of trying to avoid the problem or an attempt to cover up the failure of your service department. Either way, this problem is yours to solve and you have TODAY 2nd January 2024 to sort this issue once and for all.

Continues.

8. Chopper1%

Chopper1% New Member

Dec 26, 2023
    Ilminster, Somerset
    According to the Consumer Rights Act 2015, you have three options, one of which is already null and void as far as I am concerned.

1. You can repair the fault. The bike is under warranty and since you have failed miserably and at great inconvenience and annoyance to me. I am NOT PREPARED to let you touch the bike on my behalf. Due to your incompetence and failure to solve the issue, I have ZERO trust or confidence in you or the dealership to correct this problem.

2. You can replace the bike with another bike of equal value. If you have a suitable bike in stock, I would consider looking at it. Please note that I have said I would consider looking at it. I am NOT excited about this option as I have zero confidence in you as a dealer and you clearly cannot be trusted.

3. You can refund me the full cost of the bike, by bank transfer today 2nd January 2024. I will bring the bike to you in a van complete with documents and keys. Once I have received the refund in full, I will have nothing further to do with Total Triumph.

Let me be very clear about this, so that there can be no misunderstanding. Failure to offer me a suitable other bike or issue me with a full refund today, WILL RESULT in me taking immediate legal action against Total Triumph.

I have done extensive research about the legalities of this situation and you are clearly in the wrong. If I have to pursue a County Court claim, you will also be liable for all my legal expenses. All of the paperwork is ready to go, I just have to hand it in at the County Court.

As a main dealer you should be capable of solving simple tuning problems with one of your own bikes. You have failed miserably at every stage. Your performance clearly shows that you cannot be trusted to do your job.
    CHOPPER.

So that was the email I sent just before I took the bike back. Piper replied to the email while I was on route to them. Just as well I didn't read the email BEFORE I went to visit them.

So me and a very good pal get to Total Triumph. I went to Pipers desk, handed him the bike documents and keys and told him he could have the bike when the refund had been issued.

Piper then told me I had two options. Let them fix the bike or return the Bonnie and take back my Rocket three. If I wanted to unwind the deal I would have to pay for new tyres and a brake caliper repair, plus a miage allowance for the miles I had done on the Bonnie.

Piper then asked what I wanted to do. That was when I very nearly exploded. His smug look and attitude just took me over the edge. I told him that right then I just wanted to punch his head in. My mate stepped in, (He knows what I am like). Piper was shouting at me to get out, with my mate in the way I couldn't get at him. Piper was calling for every other member of staff to come in and help. Before things got too far out of hand my mate told me to get a coffee and calm down.

9. Chopper1%

Chopper1% New Member

Dec 26, 2023
    Ilminster, Somerset
    Continues.

Piper then came up with the idea to let his Top technician test ride the bike. My mate said that would be a good idea, so instead of doing what I wanted to do, I let him test ride the bike. I explained where the problem is and off he went. On his return he stated that there was indeed a problem "HOORAH!". He then had to go and have a chat with Piper. I asked what he thought the problem was and all of a sudden it was a big secret, he wouldn't say.

Piper then approached me very warily and said they would get the bike in, order new parts and get it done by Friday! Yeah right.

OK, I get home and my better half is surprised to see me as she was expecting to get a call from my mate to say I had been arrested. Been grinding my gears ever since I got back.

Gabby slunk off into her corner as soon as she sa me walk through the door and didn't say a word to me. Probably a smart move on her part as I was in no mood to hear her pompous, arrogant nonsense.

Continues.

10. Chopper1%

Chopper1% New Member

Dec 26, 2023
    Ilminster, Somerset
    So I rather begrudgingly left the bike with them, NOT at all happy. I have spent the rest of the day in an extremely foul mood. I go to check my email and find this email from Piper. This is what he emailed me while I was enroute to Total Triumph.
    • [​IMG]
      Craig Piper - Total Triumph
      To:[email protected]
      Tue, 2 Jan at 14:15

Hi Chris,
      Thank you for your email.
      Gabby made me aware over the Christmas break that you had called again and still having issues regarding low speed running.
      As you will have seen from our T&C, such an email would not be addressed to myself, and must be made in writing to our Director. Despite your many stipulations, there is a process to a situation like this, which does also involve us having upto 7 working days to reply to your complaint. However, in order to speed this up and draw a line under it, I will take it on and try to resolve now.
      There are two options available, which to summarise briefly involves;
      1 - Investigate the Fault
      2 - Refund and unwind the deal as a whole
      You appear to have missed all the effort we have put into this for you. As you admit, the bike was perfect on demo, and for the following first month of ownership, only causing issues later on which it is fair to attribute to either a component breakdown, or an outside influence.
      Our goodwill is undertaking this despite the outside influences that could have occurred, this has all been caused by poor or inadequate fuel which we are repeatedly clearing for you. We have also collected and returned the bike twice, none of which we have to do.
      Total Triumph would be happy to provide either solution, but the nature of your email suggested you prefer the unwinding of the deal, and we will carry this out, along with return of the Rocket 3 trade in provided. This includes the recompense for the remedial work, and an allowance for mileage completed on the Bonneville. To help with this, please find calculations below;
      Bonneville T100 Purchase - £4500
      Rocket 3 Part Exchange - £4500
      Net Payment given to Total Triumph £0
      Remedial Work, replacement of both tyres on Rocket 3, and replacement of front RH Caliper which had the mount thread completed stripped out of it and seized. This work done at internal rates, not retail rates which is beneficial for you, as well as parts all at just cost price plus 10%. £722.02
      Mileage on Bonneville at HMRC rate of 45 p / mile (Sold at 13447, and last seen by us at 14573) - 1126 x 0.45 = £506.70
      If you can pay the BACs for this, total £1228.72, we will have the Rocket ready to pick up within 24 hours. See details attached.
      Thanks

• Continues.

11. Chopper1%

Chopper1% New Member

Dec 26, 2023
    Ilminster, Somerset
    First of all, his reply was so quick, it suggests that he is very well practiced in being an arrogant, pompous scum sucker and he has done this before. How pompous and arrogantt is the tone of his email? Am I wrong for wanting to hurt him badly? Got pretty close today, but I didn't actually make contact because my mate got in the way. Have to say I loathe, detest and despise the guy and what he has done, the way he has treated me.

I am supposed to be grateful for them collecting and returning the bike? What about my weekend trip that was ruined because of this issue? What about my ruined Christmas plans for the same reason? What about all the BS and hassle? The length of time this has taken to resolve and we are still not sorted?

(I am being very careful not to use any bad language on the forum. I will leave it to your imagination). So he now wants me to pay them £1228.72, to unwind the deal and take my old bike back. No good to me and an easy way out for them. Not doing that.

Now I have to wait for them to do their thing. Not looking good is it?

Sorry for the extra long post guys, I suppose I am just venting. If my post is not ok, I understand if you need to delete it. Whatever the outcome of the workshop visit, I will be making a strong complant to Triumph UK and investigating any possible legal avenues.

Chopper

12. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Chopper and a happy new year. Neil Mossman is the MD for total triumph, he spends most of his time on the golf course, unfortunately the man is less than honest, he has a string of failed companies behind him. I do hope you get things sorted, that said the company is very hard work to deal with regarding complaints, they pass people from one person to another, customer satisfaction is poor regarding rectifications. Triumph do follow up complaints when they are made against a dealer, that said Total Triumph have been dishonest in the past informing Triumph that the complaint has been resolved, when clearly it has not. Triumph then appear to take this at face value and close the case down. Look on Auto Trader as they have some poor feedback, I understand your frustrations with them and my view is they should not have a Triumph dealership. Keep the forum posted on how you get on.