Welcome to The Triumph Forum

The World's busiest Triumph Forum. Join this amazing group of people and start discussing the thing that we all love, Triumph Motorcycles.

Featured Tools...

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Big Sandy, Mar 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Big Sandy

Big Sandy Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    #1 Big Sandy, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Okay, as a Land Rover owner I have a fair selection of tools, which will cope with most jobs on most vehicles.

However, we all know that motor cycles need a bit more finesse than a 5lb lump hammer. :)

I need to get a new chain splitter and riveter, gave my old one away years ago like a mug, along with the manometer/carb balancer.

What chain splitter do you use? There seems to be a huge choice now..ranging from £20 (Chinese tat I'm guessing) to £150... Even the £150 ones seem to have bad reviews, but I suppose that could be down to pebtaf. (Problem exists between tool and floor ;))

Could you name the tool for me please, rather than an eBay link. I don't use a desktop computer (I put a hammer through it one day. It had it coming) and use an android device which doesn't like the skimlinks software on forum (a valuable resource) which stops me accessing the link. Not found a way round that yet.

I found a link to a manometer, a four bank one, so currently waiting for payday, but still interested to hear what you have.

Thanks in advance.

Oh...not my chain set that needs replacing by the way.(yet). It's on my son's bike...he's still learning, it's a Yamaha ybr125. Though he did buy a 1987 Gpz400r yesterday, pic attached.

gpz400r cropped.jpg

It needs its carbs cleaning and rebalancing, and new fork seals. Other than that, good to go. It's very tidy, couple of scuffs on the plastic, and the rear plastic by the handle to lift onto the centre stand has a crack. Japanese import, 25000 miles!

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Elite Member
    Subscriber

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I have a four line carb balancer doing nowt in my garage and I can't see myself needing it, it's yours for the postage costs if you want it. I'm away til later today so I can't put a pic up but if you are interested let me know and I'll take a pic so you can see what it is.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Big Sandy

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yorkshireman

Subscriber

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    No worries, I'll sort that later today

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member
    Subscriber

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    [​IMG]

my mercury gauges were old and cloudy so I bought one of these (Morgan Carbtune , just google ) about £70 easy to use nice bit of kit.
    As for the chain link tool they're all much of a muchness so went for a cheep one around £40 ish seems sturdy and works well and have riveted drive chains and cam chains with it but tend to cut the old ones off anyway.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sprinter

Sprinter Elite Member
    Subscriber

Aug 17, 2014
    Grampian.
    oxford chain spliter/riveter I bought cheaper and regretted it so bought this.
    s-l640.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Big Sandy

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    That's brilliant, thank you.:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Big Sandy

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    I was looking at the Oxford one... It has some bad reviews too, but like I say I think that's often pebtaf...I've not had any problems personally with Oxford products.

@Rocker it was a Morgan carbtune I was looking at too. The one I used to have had vacuum guages in a bank. The boy that used to do my servicing before that just used a hose and his ear...but he used to be Webster's mechanic (sidecar racing) and had been doing it for fifty odd years. Me, I can't even hear myself think...(back to the diesel Land Rover for that. It's like a Motörhead concert. An hour after you get out you still hear the music.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yorkshireman

Subscriber

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    IMG_20190303_181739.jpg

IMG_20190303_181823.jpg
    Here ya go, weight on the box is shown as 617g so shouldn't be too expensive .

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Big Sandy

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    Thank you @Yorkshireman, that will be fantastic!

I'll send you a Pm :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Senior Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    When i lost my chain splitter i just started using an angle grinder to take the head off the rivet, and for balancing just buy a cheap vacuum gauge and a piece of pipe...job done you dont need fancy tools for simple jobs.;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Big Sandy

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    Good point @Tricky-Dicky

Got to admit though, I do like to have tools....:rolleyes:

That being said, I spent a long time trying to find a timing tool for 2.25 diesel Land Rover engines. Talking rocking horse poop... Found one for sale and got in touch...they tell me it's a pre-order job, £180. So, yep, I need that. Ordered it. Fortnight later, phone goes.. " err, this timing tool. Bosch say it's special order (we think they have lost the tooling) and they want £875 for it.". Needless to say, I don't have one! Amazing what you can do with a cut off master quill shaft and a protractor.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Senior Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    I know what you mean...i once waited for a a cam timing tool for a VW golf only to find when i started the job i could just use a 12mm drill.......

• Like Like x 1
  14. chuk

chuk Well-Known Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    I can’t remember the make but I bought a riveter from wemoto website about £40ish,never used it to split only to rivet does the job well nice and sturdy,battery angle grinder used to cut chain links better than the majority of splitter tools,as long as you are carefull and take it easy no finger chops allowed

• Like Like x 1
  15. Big Sandy

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    Finger chops.... I was once removing a set of calipers, needed to use the angle grinder. Was very very careful, even wore goggles.

Took the caliper off... The disc took my knuckle off. Amazing things tendons, but not what you want to be looking at when you have oily hands.

Thanks to @Yorkshireman I am now sorted with a carb balancer. :) I owe him one. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  16. Yorkshireman

Subscriber

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Angle grinders take no prisoners IMG_20180314_135341.jpg
    That silver bit in the middle is bone. Luckily not too much blood, the heat cauterized the blood vessels .

17. Big Sandy

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    Ouch @Yorkshireman!

Closest I have got to that with the angle grinder was to catch my thumb nail. Didn't go all the way through however. Left a layer of nail about a micron thick, right across. Was fine until it grew out. Mrs BS said I should go for an acrylic infill.....might have been handy if it had been an index finger, could have at least picked my nose with it then. :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1