Today I Picked Up My 1 Liter 3 Cylinder

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BonnieCat, Sep 24, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Just joined the fleet today, its blue and has that triple growl. Pictures to follow.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

A C1:cool:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    How very dare you. :scream:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    A baby Ford eco booster.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Oh drat, you guys are onto me already. Dilli you were closest. It’s a Toyota Aygo

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Mate at work has an aygo :)
    When I told him I was getting my C1 he reckons they’re basically the same car and share a lot of parts :)
    Dunno if it’s true :confused:

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    It is true they’re all made in the same factory (and of course the Peugeot). They seem to be pretty good cars and pretty reliable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:) I really like my C1:heart_eyes:
    Cos it means I get one of these :cool: 3BE9434E-5847-40B4-9BDF-E28C5D9FFB4F.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    This is Arthur the Aygo. Full service history, one owner. Like new inside and out even with 50,000 miles on the clock. Definitely needed as I can’t take the big camper to the shops every week.

67DB4977-45CE-468D-A337-2CA28C56224D.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  10. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Same as the UK Jez. You pay road tax per vehicle based on weight, engine size and fuel type. This being a teeny car this should be fairly cheap compared to my BMW X1.
    I expect the road tax on Cyril the camper van to be expensive as it’s heavy and diesel powered.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I do love a good urban myth.

Funnily enough I researched this pretty carefully before buying one. All the lurid stories relate to about 45k Focus 1.0 models built between Oct 2011 and Oct 2013 where a nylon coolant pipe was prone to let go silently and unannounced causing the motor and turbo to overheat in seconds few.....especially on a motorway.....resulting in the symptoms you describe or lesser woes like blown head gaskets. Those that failed to detonate were subject to widely publicised recall. There was a separate overheating issue with the 1.6 engine (15k units) also now addressed.

So if it’s not a Focus you have no material worries and if it is then check it build date and whether the mod has been done. That aside, all turbos like regular oil changes. Got to say, I like ours far more than I thought I would.

In terms of 2019 reliability Ford is mid table with Toyota a couple of places ahead but PSA are in the relegation zone. That said, most modern cars are mechanically pretty good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Have you ever thought of going into politics?

You have a happy knack of selective argument. Ford would not remain in business long making about 1M of these engines annually with a built in time bomb. Jeremy Corbyn usually has an anecdote from Cathy or Fred that he tries to spin as representative of the norm....... it seldom is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    I bought Arthur from my local Toyota dealership and they had Aygos in with huge mileages. One had 220,000km which I thought was pretty amazing for such a little engine.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I don’t dispute there was a spate of issues specific to one installation. The engine was designed from scratch for a turbo running at two atmospheres - two litres from one. In ps it’s pretty similar to a Speedy but with a different torque curve. The turbo allows great mpg when you are not asking for high cylinder pressures...... It IS a neat engineering solution. The problem? Well most manufacturers are actually part assembly operations and design engineers are chasing a knife edge of price v. quality. Expensive eats profit, too cheap eats profit with warranty claims. Gash plumbing, gaskets etc., from 3rd Party suppliers can spell disaster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Is this the same engine that goes in the Honda Civic 1.0 L ? I know Honda don't make it. I looked at the new Honda last year but ended up buying a 2016 1.8 as the new 1.5 model was stupidly expensive and the 1.0 L was a bit crappy and the dealer didn't rate the engine much.
    This was after running a 2007 Civic for ten years and 100,000 trouble free miles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I am pretty sure it is a Honda VTEC unit of 988cc v the Ford 995cc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    No it's not. Not according to the dealership I went to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

The internet is full of woes, cos who goes online to say how good their car is running ???
    Same as the fitter @ Ford, who takes their car in when's its no broken ???

When you make millions, some will break, go look at any statistical data. I understand bias, I personally wouldn't buy any French cars due to experience with one 20 years ago !!! But I love Ford, my Puma gave no trouble in 9 years, my X-type Jag the same.

If you go looking for trouble with any bike/car and you WILL find it.:blush:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Love You Love You x 1
  19. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Badly? Nope. Just lobbing in a little balance :heart:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest