To The Snowflakes

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Vulpes, Mar 5, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    #1 Vulpes, Mar 5, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    Stating that you are "offended" is manipulative. A bit like a mother who tells her child that she is "not angry, but disappointed." Being offended implies that you have been almost intentionally hurt, that you are not consciously being taken seriously. And, moreover, that it must be made up with you. It causes you to be found pathetic and vulnerable. People, or groups of people, in society who claim to have been offended because they are not approached or treated as they would like, knowingly and powerfully wield a powerful weapon. From offended you quickly get into the realms of discrimination, oppression and inequality, and these are of course hot issues in a society that claims to be politically correct.. But it is actually very simple: a politically correct society does not exist. It is impossible to always accommodate everyone. There is always someone who does not feel addressed, attacked, misunderstood or otherwise. Who cannot master the opinion of the common denominator. Such is life. That can be tricky, but it doesn't mean that everything and everyone has to adapt to you. Then at a given moment you can no longer do or say anything at all. Then the world becomes very colourless. And we do not live in the former Soviet Union.

You are not offended, you are just a jerk. So maybe you should take your head out of your own arse and have a look around you. Then you will see that the world does not revolve around you and that, yes, it is possible to co-exist with people who think differently than you do. That you sometimes have to compromise and that it is not so bad at all. That someone with a different opinion is not necessarily out to personally insult you. But that person may have had different experiences, experience things differently than you do. That you do not have to agree with that, but that it is not directly a problem, or a crime against humanity. And that you can just take that into account and get on with your life. There will probably be people who think what you think is complete bullshit. You win some, you lose some. You just can't have everything.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Like Like x 7
    • Cheers Cheers x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  2. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    images.jpg

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    ECHR European court of Human Rights April 2019 judgement:
    ’freedom of expression, as secured in para 1 of Article 10 of the Convention, constitutes one of the essential
    foundations of a democratic society, indeed one of the basic conditions for its progress and for the self-fulfilment
    of the individual. Subject to para 2, it is applicable not only to ‘information’ or ‘ideas’ that are favourably
    received or regarded as inoffensive or as a matter of indifference, but also to those that offend, shock or dis -
    turb the State or any section of the population. Such are the demands of that pluralism, tolerance and broadmindedness
    without which there is no democratic society”.

Ironic that mostly the perpetually offended seem to be pro EU :p

Something like this needs to be written in to UK law and protected to prevent it ever being questioned in the future.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  4. MARKYMARKTHREE

MARKYMARKTHREE Senior Member

Feb 11, 2020
    SOMERSET
    They will also be found on EX Rebellion demos and watching a schoolgirl give a 4 minute speech dictated to her by mummy and daddy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    So much common sense will never catch on mate, but I like your thinking.....

• Like Like x 3
  6. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    #6 JerryBB, Mar 7, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    let me get this straight, you post a thread whining about people who whine about shit they don't like or disagree with....;)

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #7 Wire-Wheels, Mar 7, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    "I'm sorry. I did not mean to offend you. I meant to totally insult you and drive you out of my life !. Sorry for my poor choice of words". ;) ...J.D.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    That's not what I said, but hey, like I did say - if you don't like it, move on... :p

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  9. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Vulpes, I deliberately replied to your comment so that it is repeated in it's entirety.

The most common-sense comment about rights and responsibilities I've heard in decades - VERY WELL DONE .

Dave

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Cheers Dave. We'll toast to that at the GMU!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2