To Decat Or Not

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Jeff C, Aug 25, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jeff C

Jeff C New Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Queensland Australia
    I'm looking at removing the Decat on my Scrambler XC1200.
    Question is, as the bike is only 1 month old and has at present 1900klms, would I be doing some sort of long term damage. As the motor is new and not yet properly run in, should I wait?
    Or would the removal of the Decat help in the long run.
    Cheers Jeff C

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. MTBskier

MTBskier Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Las Vegas, NV
    #2 MTBskier, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    100% decat. Dealer installed the x-pipe on my Speed Twin during the 500 mile service. Shouldn’t affect break in of the motor what so ever. Besides at 1900 km (1180 miles) engine should be well past break in point.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Stramasher

Stramasher Senior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    ex-0141
    go for it. your only denying yourself aural pleasure. mine was done at the dealer with a little over 1000miles, "We do loads of them."

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Greywolf55

Greywolf55 Noble Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Duluth ,Ga
    Do it , you'll be glad you did

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Jeff C
    I did my 900 bonnie. Took one long trip to put it back on. Didn't like it at all.
    Regards & Stay Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  6. neilb

neilb Active Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Billericay, Essex
    So, after some 45000 miles, I fitted a Delkevic exhaust to my Multistrada 950 a couple of months back. Lost the cat box in the process and shed some 24 lb (11 kg) weight. Should have done it a year ago when it came out of warranty. Not really any louder than the stock system but a nicer bass rumble to it now. The big plus was losing all that weight which has made the bike much nimbler and easier to move around.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    I fitted a Verex decat to my new Scrambler 1200XC

Sounds great and reduces heat, easy to do and to reverse if required

I’d also like to fit SP pipes but the combo is just too loud

• Like Like x 1
  8. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    What didn’t you like about the decat Joe?.

9. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    how does bike run Repooh with decat better worse or the same?.

10. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Its a tad peppier, little more responsive. I tend to do the ECU reset thingy once a month and all good

• Like Like x 2
  11. Red Merle

Red Merle New Member

Jun 12, 2020
    South East Cornwall
    Back in the late 80’s and early 90’s I lived in my first house, on the side of a busy road which was the access to an industrial estate. I’d wake up in the morning to the stench of uncatalysed exhaust fumes in the bedroom. It was bl&@y awful.
    Please leave the cat to its job!

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Not wise to start a bike up in your bedroom Merle.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Caligula

Caligula Member

Mar 17, 2019
    east anglia
    Take it off, let the bike run efficiently, save weight. Best thing I did with the Bonny and the Norge before it. Smoother, more economical.

14. Brixton Steve

Brixton Steve Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Devon
    Fitted a Motone x pipe (a decat ) to my new '19 T120 that had done less mileage than yours and have had no problems. Done 4000 miles since the decat and all is fine. Haven't found a downside, got same mpg, sounds better, runs cooler , less snatchy when going very slow and doesn't invalidate warranty. So what are you waiting for ? Go for it.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Caligula

Caligula Member

Mar 17, 2019
    east anglia
    spot on.............fit a quality cross pipe (where needed), such as Motone

• Like Like x 2
  16. Zippyrider

Zippyrider New Member

Jun 27, 2020
    England
    Just decatted my 2021 Steve McQueen scrambler the easy way,I’d already purchased a second hand set of silencers from a 19 xe so it was just a case of bolting them on and letting the bike tick over until the fan kicked in,I left her running for another 12 minutes after tha,the sound is now sooo much better,good job I’d read the forum posts first or I’d be embarrassingly sending back the headers I was going to order

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hogfest50

Hogfest50 New Member

Jul 17, 2022
    Cornwall
    Here to help if I can ,just taken my cat off my mk2 2022 speed twin . up on a paddock stand exhaust removed .,tank moved a couple of inches back radiator loosened.
    top bolts loosened middle engine bolts and bottom rear frame bolts removed two cat brackets unbolted and heat bent outward, once you have the cat brackets bent to the max I levered the other side ( has a shaft through an enclosed supported bracket on the throttle side of bike ) off using a sturdy screwdriver next the exit pipe on the cat is on the outside of the frame on the throttle side i used gaffer tape to protect the frame here as i need to push it over this lower part of the frame and bang it was out ..