Tiger Sport Time For New Tyres

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Wessa, Dec 18, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    My 2019 tiger sport 1050 is in need of new tyres. Should I go with replacement OEM tyres or what would you recommend as a better option. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.,:cool::)

2. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Whats the OEM tyre? I love the the road5's but tried the Angel GT2's on the big KTM, never seen a tyre last so long on it! and still feels sporty enough and grippy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    I'm running these on my 800, second pair. Good wet and dry grip and decent mileage. Also considering Road 5 next time.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Thats actually what I have eyed up for the street twin when needs be. Simply because they do an 18" front whereas the others I mentioned dont. I only have good things to say about Metzler M5's and M7's. Karoo 3's were shit though :p

• Like Like x 1
  5. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I'm on Avon Storms. Good grip/handling /mileage etc and as a bonus are not too expensive. Plus, technical advice is readily available from the factory in Melksham where they are made.
    Seems that they have got a new sports touring tyre - the Spirit - in their range nowadays. Could be worth a look.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

What about some knobblies and doing a bit of off roading :joy:

make sure they’re BLACK:cool::p

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

I use Angels on both my triples and have no complaints. Wear well too. Oponeo are generally pretty good on price, if you haven't heard of them. Prompt service too :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi Andy the oem’s are Pirreli Angel ST’s mate...

• Like Like x 3
  9. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Yeah if there Angel ST they might be a bit dated now. Still a good tyre but I dont think they are even a dual compound rear. Angel GT are an improvement and now there are GT2's. Had the GT2's on for Spain and they've done really well!:grinning:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yep I’m going to have a good look around over Christmas cause I need to change them very soon

• Like Like x 2
  11. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    If you like the ones on it, get the GT's, they'll feel the same and last far longer

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    To be honest the stock tyres have been ok. The rear is very thin now with 5200 miles on it. The front is in good shape. I might just go for a GT on the rear and then swap both together next time around.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Angel ST is a good tyre but dies fast. The GT is dual compound with the same soft shoulder and appreciably more durable. The GT II has a couple of extra grooves for supposedly better wet performance and mimics the Superbike intermediate race tyre. Marketing?
    I went for the GT as a more than adequate price/performance compromise since I won’t be ragging it in a way to justify spending £50 more.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Well I pressed the button on a pair of angel gt’s for £200.96 . I will get them fitted when they arrive...

• Like Like x 3
  15. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Good choice ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    My Pirreli Angel GT’s tyres turned up on Thursday. Need to get the bike booked in to get them fitted as soon as the weather warms up a little.....

• Like Like x 4
  17. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    So been thinking about my new tyres. The current tyres are the OEM Angel ST's and the front has still got significant about of tread, but the rear needs changing. My initial thoughjt is that I just replace the rear tyre and keep the new front until next year when I will need to replace the rear again. This will mean I will have an ST mixed with a GT? I have never mix tyre types before.

Or should I just swap them both to ensure I have both the same tyres on the bike?

What do you guy's do when it comes to tyre change time; you thoughts weclomed?

18. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    Probably ok. Same make and only one step between them. Personally, I always replace pairs unless major damage on one at low mileage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Yeah since its an st and gt, it wouldn't worry me, and normally I do keep the tyres matched.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

I've ridden all manner of bastard pairs Steve, and only very occasionally crashed :laughing: just kidding, you'd be absolutely fine. :)

• Funny Funny x 3