Trophy Time For A Brake Flush

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Jim Baker, Dec 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim Baker

Jim Baker Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Klamath Falls, OR
    Hi,

I have taken the winter weather as a time to do some service on my Trophy SE. Was going to do the brake fluid flush but looks like I'll need the diagnostic tool to complete a complete flush. Just wondering if it really requires this to flush the system completely or can one just get along with doing the flush without it? A thousand dollars for the diagnostic tool would pay for the dealer to do this job many times over if it is absolutely needed. Thanks for your help in advance guys and gals.
    jb 20191213_190346[1].jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Doing it with the diagnostic tool shuffles the valves in the Abs block allowing fluid in there to be removed. Depending on your model it can be done with the Tunecu app via Bluetooth on Android phone but if you go that route beware that you should only run the programme for 30 seconds before letting the abs rest and cool down. It won’t matter too much if you only perform a normal brake fluid flush like you would on a bike without ABS, you’ll still get 90% of the fluid out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jim Baker

Aug 6, 2018
    Klamath Falls, OR
    Thanks Yorkshireman,
    Found the app, looks like I'll be going back to school to learn how to use the app! Always good to learn new things, even if I am an old dog! LOL
    Thanks, jb:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. Jim Baker

Aug 6, 2018
    Klamath Falls, OR
    I started with flushing the clutch system this afternoon. That went fairly easy, then I started with the rear brake system, flushing the right front lower brake bleeder valve. I was able to reach over the tire and got the rear brake completed without to much difficulty. The right front was next and that went ok, I had the tube I was using slip off the brake valve a couple of times doing that by myself. I asked my wife to help me with the left side and that went surprisingly well. It's always good to have an understanding between your helper and yourself, so I made sure we were both on the same page. We're still good friends after the job was finish, so that was good! LOL:p So I guess 90% flush is better than nothing. Thanks again Yorkshireman!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    A pleasure, sounds like it went well for you, happy riding.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Trophytourer

Trophytourer Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2019
    Inverness
    You need the diagnostic tool to activate the ABS valves you can buy one from Dealertool for about £60 http://dealertoolcouk.ipage.com/default.htm

7. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    buy a little bleeder £10ish it’s a one way valve so you can bleed your brakes on your own, when I got my first abs bike in 2014 I asked a triumph fitter about bleeding, he replied just do them as normal and I have with no problems, I change my fluid every year it only costs £3-4 to do .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jim Baker

Aug 6, 2018
    Klamath Falls, OR
    Thank Shaun64, Job done, not the first time bleeding brakes but trying to follow the service manual and being ocd wanted it 100% lol I purchased the app and got the cable, job done 100%.

• Like Like x 3