Time For A Boyer??

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by JonL, May 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JonL

JonL New Member

Feb 3, 2018
    East Sussex
    Hi
    I'm having trouble with the ignition on my TR7T 750 and currently have no sparks on either side. Before it failed entirely it was popping and backfiring a good 'un. It's recently been brought out the garage after the winter and so I wasn't expecting it to be spot on straight away. At first I thought the issue would be fuel having been laid up for about 6 months so I cleaned out the carb, replaced the fuel and gave it a general once over - it all seemed ok but continued to pop and bang when kicked over.
    I left it a few days and tried again and this time it didn't even start so I checked the spark and found nothing on either plug. I followed the troubleshooting guide in the service manual and both the coils check out ok with all the voltages in the right places - I also freshly charged the battery overnight to make sure that was good, both the primary and secondary coils checked with an ohm meter - about 2.5ohms and 4.5Kohms? on secondary.
    The pulse sensor?? (not sure if that's the correct name) measures 1100ohms as per the manual and the measurements back to the GB11 amplifier also seems to fit with the service manual. I've checked and cleaned as many earth connections I can find and also checked the connections in the headlight bowl - have I missed anything??
    If left the spark can (on occasions) return on both sides and then it fires up for about 10 secs before dying and then the sparks have gone again when I check them. It does seem like a bad connection but I can't find it and am running out of troubleshooting thoughts. I think people have mentioned about testing a spark generated by connecting to wires on the pulse sensor? - but I might be wrong
    One other thing (not sure if it's relevant) but I can almost guarantee a nice load backfire when I switch off the ignition - as if doing that generates a spark and ignites what's hanging around in the cylinder.

So I was wondering if I ought to cut my losses go with a boyer (or similar). I do like the idea of keeping things as original as possible but not if that means I can't enjoy the ride.
    If anyone has any thoughts on how I can narrow things down more then that would be great, or if the general consensus is to replace the ignition system with an afternmarket option then what is best? Boyer are about £100 (I think!) but I like the sound of Tri-spark which looks more discreet but over twice the price.

kind regards
    Jon

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    The std Rita system was pretty reliable if its sparking when the ignition is switched on and off the the main unit is OK check for broken or disconnected wires, but it sounds like the hall sensor has failed, you can get the units repaired and spares from http://www.aoservices.co.uk/index.htm

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JonL

JonL New Member

Feb 3, 2018
    East Sussex
    #3 JonL, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
    ah - ok thanks
    What and where is the hall sensor - is it something I can test to see if it has indeed failed? Is it part of the Rita unit?

I also saw there is a Moira unit now - is that perhaps an option worth looking at?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    A Hall sensor is your pulse sensor. It is a proximity device actuated by the crank rotation. The brief sparking you describe is a classic symptom of an electrical winding failing as it warms up. It may well show the correct resistance until it fails and cools again. If you test when it fails you may get an open circuit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. JonL

JonL New Member

Feb 3, 2018
    East Sussex
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    #7 Callumity, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
  8. JonL

JonL New Member

Feb 3, 2018
    East Sussex
    ok - thanks
    Is there a direct aftermarket replacement that would perhaps fit?

9. JonL

JonL New Member

Feb 3, 2018
    East Sussex
    Brilliant - thanks

so it looks like it may well be time for a Boyer as per my initial title :)
    That's no problem, I just wanted to cover off other options.

Your input has been a great help and I appreciate the time you've spent helping me.

• Like Like x 3