Tiger 800 Tiger XRx Screen woes

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Yorkie199, Feb 18, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Just been on the HPS site, shows 3 screens. They don't look as though you can have the tomtom above clocks mount with them, which could be a pain. Dont you just hate it when people leave a review and just say " Great service " and don't write anything about the product!! They do a spoiler but it says for rigid screens which ours definately aint!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yorkie199

Yorkie199 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    I am in exactly the same position so many screens and so many different opinions.

3. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    #23 Yorkie199, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    https://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/info-Triumph_Tiger_800_800XC_2010_Onwards_MRA_Vario_Screen_Motorcycle_Windshield.html
    Not sure if links work on here but this is the one that I'm thinking of ....regarding the satnav so far I use my phone with the tomtom app on it and the copilot app they work ok but satnav I think would be better I would probably get the fitting that goes on the middle of the handlebars.

4. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    yeah that one looks best, the others are a bit fussy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    I had the same problem on my Explorer. Before you spend a lot of money try putting 4 1/2" spacers behind the screen mounting bolts. You will need to buy 4 replacement bolts 1/2" longer than the standard ones. This made a massive difference to me. I did this after buying a "MRA wing" for the top of the screen but the spacers did the most for noise and buffeting reduction. Worth a try for a couple of quid.

6. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    Already tried that Rooster somebody pointed me to your original post about it but my screen is the adjustable one so it already has a gap underneath it, anyway I tried it today and it didn't make any real difference but as you say it was worth a go for a fiver.

7. Martin Bayliss

Apr 5, 2017
    West Yorkshire
    No one seems to have mentioned Palmer Products screens. I had one on a Tiger 1050 and I've fitted one to my wife's 800 XRt. I'm also fitting one to my 2014 Tiger 800. She's 5' 7" and now rides round with her visor up and the screen isn't even on it's highest setting. I'm 5' 10" and on my 1050, I had it on the highest setting which was comfortable riding round with the visor open up to c 40 mph. I've tried my wife's bike with the screen on the highest setting and it does it for me!

• Like Like x 3
  8. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    I've actually just today bitten the bullet and ordered an MRA screen but it won't be here until back end of next week but once I've given it a good test I will post my thoughts and hopefully they will be good ....
    fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    Well after a lot of messing about I finally got an MRA screen on the bike today but it's going to be a couple of days before I can get out on it .....pics and an opinion to follow :)

10. figwold

figwold First Class Member

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    I've put a Madstad on mine and it's fabulous. Yes it's a monster, but can ride at up to 70 with my visor up.

I tried the Triumph Adventure screen first and it was just about as bad as the stock screen.

Piccy:

IMG_2597.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    I wasn't sure which to get but am happy with the look of the MRA ....fingers crossed that it's cured the buffeting issues

12. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    IMG_0486.JPG T IMG_0487.JPG
    Well I managed to get out on the bike today with the MRA screen on it and it's been quite a blustery day so I wasn't sure if it would make any difference but it made a huge difference for me. I am 6 ft tall and with the screen set on its highest I am just getting clean air on the top of my helmet where as before it was like somebody drumming on my head so I'm very happy, one of the photos shows the difference in size to the original screen .

IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_0487.JPG

13. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    thanks for that, can you tell me if there is enough room behind the screen to put a bracket in behind the clocks for a gps device?

14. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    I'm not sure how the bracket fits but there is just about a 2 inch gap between the bump at the top of the clocks and the screen if you get my meaning sorry but the photos don't show it too well IMG_0489.JPG IMG_0488.JPG

IMG_0489.JPG

IMG_0488.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  15. figwold

figwold First Class Member

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    I've got a Madstad rather than a MRA - though confusingly it's also branded MRA - and its equally good at eliminating the turbulent air.

I have mounted my satnav just fine above the clocks using a RAM mount setup.

• Like Like x 2
  16. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    This sounds like it would work for me - might have to invest in one!

17. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    If you have the adjustable screen on your bike you will come up against the same problem that i did, the screen is made for the previous model tiger so it doesn't fit to the adjustable screen fittings as I found out when I tried to fit it. I contacted HPS where i got my screen from and they got the non adjustable fittings from Triumph so if you do decide to get one you would need to make sure that they know that your bike has the adjustable screen fitted at the moment .

• Like Like x 1
  18. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Have you been out with a pillion yet? How was the buffeting for them? My missus complains about it with the triumph large adjustable one, so would be could if I could get her to stop moaning about 1 thing at least!

19. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    I haven't sorry

20. Yorkie199

Jul 10, 2016
    North Lincolnshire
    I can now confirm that the sw motech sat nav bracket does fit .....talk about a speedy answer ;)

image.jpg