Tiger Montain Cub

Discussion in 'Bikes for Sale' started by Avery Montembeault, Jul 15, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Avery Montembeault

Avery Montembeault New Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Niskayuna, NY, USA
    About a year ago, I purchased a number of vintage bikes at auction. I managed to get rid of most of them, save the one bike I wanted (for sentimental reasons) and what I've been told is a Triumph Mountain Cub.

I had grand aspirations of restoring it, but I just don't have the time, or money, to do it right. I'm hoping perhaps someone here could point me in the right direction.

1) How do I verify the year, and that it is in fact a mountain cub, and not just a regular tiger cub?

2) Given the pictures, it's in rough shape, and missing some parts, but I think its restorable. What's a fair asking price? I was thinking $300 USD, given the frames go for $125-150 on Ebay.

If anyone in upstate New York wants to make an offer, I'd be glad to hear them out. Pickup only.

Thanks

20190714_174641.jpg

20190714_174541.jpg

20190714_174522.jpg

20190714_174451.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Avery Montembeault

Avery Montembeault New Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Niskayuna, NY, USA
    So, I don't think its a mountain cub after all, I think it may be a sport cub.

The frame says "T20SC1526. Now, this has me scatching my head, cause I'm expecting more digits in the serial number (starting with an 8 maybe?), and the "C" is only partially stamped. Other than that, it has the high mounted exhaust and yellow paint, so I *think* it all fits with a 65 sport cub, but that number is throwing me for a loop.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cornelii

Cornelii Active Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK, Notts/S.Yorks
    According to the Tiger Cub Bible - Mike Estall, it's a "Sports Competition"

Quote:
    "The ‘all-rounders’ arriving in 1962 included the T20SS (Street Scrambler), which was the T20SL road version renamed. Although the T20SS was intended for the American west coast, a significant proportion of machines went to the east coast dealers of the Triumph Corporation where it was known as the T20SC (Sports Competition). After that came the Mountain Cubs T20SM and T20M, on sale from 1964 and 1967 respectively. The T20SM was the west coast version of the east coast T20SC."
    End quote.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Cornelii

Cornelii Active Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK, Notts/S.Yorks
    If that yellow is the original colour, then it'll be a '65 model.

• Like Like x 1