Tiger Explorer 1200 Gear Selection Issues

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Malcolm Maddog Clark, May 11, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Malcolm Maddog Clark

May 11, 2017
    Hastings
    Hi from a newbie. I have a 2014 explorer with 9k miles on the clock. Last year when bike was still under warranty and in for it's annual service I mentioned to my dealer that there was a nasty noise on start up when cold which I believed was a sprag clutch issue. My dealer said that they all make that noise and nothing to worry about. 12 months on and out of warranty and noise still there, I now keep hitting neutral on the down shift from 3 to 2 and sometimes 2 to 1. Happened 12 times in a 40 mile round trip and a bit hairy at times. Anyone know if the two could be linked? I have had bike from new and my 3rd new Triumph. With low mileage and a full dealership service history I am hopeful Triumph will cover any costs of repair but I do want to be fully prepared in any argument. Regards to all and thanks for reading.

2. Malcolm Maddog Clark

May 11, 2017
    Hastings

3. Malcolm Maddog Clark

May 11, 2017
    Hastings
    Thanks Dozer. Conversation went "well it out of warranty but will see what we can do". If it come to me having to pay I want to be able to throw into conversation if relevant sprag clutch noise. Unfortunately my original dealer is under redevelopment so I have lost continuity in personal which does not help. Regards

4. SBKL

SBKL New Member

Hi Malcom (and all),

Hoping you can post any update or resolution.

I have a 2015 tiger explorer with about 20k miles on the clock.
    In the last 500 miles or so I've developed the same issue. Can't seem to get the bike to go into 2nd gear from 3rd. Just goes straight to neutral. Seems like it happens on low RPM stops as much as hard downshift into a corner. Hoping you can share any cause you found.

I did stop by the dealer on the way home from my ride today and they are "currently not taking any walk-ins" for service due to lack of storage space for bikes (I guess COVID has their inventory swollen-ive never seen so much new inventory) so it will be a couple of weeks before I can get in there for any help.

Sidebar: I am a long time owner of many triumphs (Daytona 675, sprint 955, sprint 1050, scrambler 865) and would appreciate any help!

Thanks

5. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
  6. SBKL

SBKL New Member