Tiger 955i Limp Mode And Engine Cut Out

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Michael leonard, Mar 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Michael leonard

Michael leonard New Member

Oct 9, 2018
    Northants
    So my 05 tiger 955i was riding sweet but it was not charging the battery, i then found out the stator was burned out so I replaced the stator and the regulator just in case. Now when I ride it the engine and fuel light comes on after a few minutes of riding and bike cuts out for a second then lights go out and it rides ok, this repeats every few feet it's like riding a bucking Broncos I only replaced the stator and regulator I didn't touch anything else now bike is un rideable plz help I'm lost

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Did you remove the tank?
    Do the engine and fuel lights stay on afterwards, and for how long?
    Sounds like the fuel supply is not keeping up with the bikes demand.
    Have you nipped a pipe, or replaced on the fuel rail the wrong way around?

3. Michael leonard

Michael leonard New Member

Oct 9, 2018
    Northants
    Hi I didn't remove the tank no, stator striaght forward then regulated under seat the connection I could reach without taking anything off, nothing removed apart from seat. Engine and fuel light comes on together for a second, engine cuts all power then lights go out engine kicks back in,

4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Could you have pinched a stator cable and its shorting/disconnecting briefly or a connection is slightly loose

• Like Like x 1
  5. deaks25

deaks25 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2018
    Birmingham, UK
    How often is this happening? I.e does it happen repeatedly and how long is it between cut-outs?

Couple of stupid questions:
    Have you checked you're battery? Could be it's blown a cell, which would result in very weird behaviour.

The other thing, is what model was the Stator and regulator for (I've been hit by incompatible components in the past because of a mid-life design change).

Might be worth doing a resistance test on the reg and stator, just in case one of them is a dud. I had to replace the stator & reg on my Sprint 1050, but the brand new regulator blew within 3 weeks.

Finally, might be worth checking the fuses and replacing the main fuse. When my Sprint was having stator/reg issues, it managed to blow the main 30A fuse.

6. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #6 Sprinter, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    The connectors? Sounds like a connection dropping in and out.

• Agree Agree x 1