Tiger 955i Headlamps

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Big-W, Mar 15, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Big-W

Big-W New Member

Mar 15, 2019
    Wolverhampton
    hi Guys
    Hello as I’m new to this forum.
    Need a bit of advice I have a 06 Tiger 955i and for the last 3 years when on mot test the tester has said that the headlight pattern on the right hand light is incorrect but the lights are the correct ones for the bike.
    Now both lights are on in both dipped and high beam and have read a few articles elsewhere saying that the right hand light should just be for high beam.
    If any one can clear this up for me I would be very grateful
    Cheers Big-W

2. Can you see to count the filaments in the RH bulb? If two filaments I'd expect it to have dip and main beam function. My Kawasaki does-both headlamps are on with dip or main. Or are you saying this is a recent development? Can't say l know this model well enough to answer categorically :)

3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Big-W, I had a 2006 Tiger 955i until recently and on that bike both headlights lit up on both dip and main beam. It is a very common modification to give more light at night.

As std. you would have one dipped beam and one main beam.

4. Big-W

Big-W New Member

Mar 15, 2019
    Wolverhampton

5. Big-W

Big-W New Member

Mar 15, 2019
    Wolverhampton
    Cheers thebiglad
    I thought that could be the case as the pattern on the right completely throws the beem in the wrong direction that could be why the MOT tester has trouble

6. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Hi Big-W,

As thebiglad says someone has added an extra relay to get both lights to come on. It shouldn't have affected beam direction though. Something must be askew.

Stands a chance either the bulb isn't seated correctly or it just needs adjusting. Fairly simple job once you've identified the adjusting screws.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hugh Murray

Hugh Murray New Member

May 17, 2019
    Somerset
    My tiger 955i (57 plate) has both headlights on low and high, noticed the handbook shows 2 x 12v 60/55w so does that mean this was standard ?

8. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    One lamp has the low powered directly off hi/low switch and the other via a relay; similarly for the High Beam (opposite lamp respectively though)
    The reason for this is some markets require a minimum spacing between headlights - this is to avoid a situation where it looks like the source is much further away. Triumph makes the harnesses universal for ALL markets and for those markets that require this code, the relays are simply omitted.
    In the UK (or US) this is NOT a code requirement and both lamps can be lit in both high and low. Many of the older gen bikes came out of factory without those relays and required to be installed. From the early noughties I think they were fitted standard (except specifically to those markets that they were NOT allowed)

Is it possible the Right Lamp was replaced at some point with a Euro or US lamp?
    (interestingly, The Euro and North American lamps are actually different from each other too, even though they are 'handed' the same obviously)

• Like Like x 2