Tiger 955 Soggy Bottom

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Rob Taylor, Dec 12, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor New Member

Dec 12, 2022
    UK
    Hi all,

I’ve just recently acquired an 03 Tiger 955 and it’s generally in pretty good shape other than seemingly having a particularly soft rear end. The ride home seemed more like riding on a North Sea ferry.

move had a look at stiffening the preload but I don’t think that’s working and I need to have a look at the damping adjuster to see if that makes a difference.

If my fears are confirmed, is there a really long spacer that goes into the swing arm that the bottom mount sits on, like the later ones or is it just a long bolt with a thread at the end? I can’t see how the spacer would be fitted into a hole that only seems to have one open end if you needed to remove it to change the shock.

I had toyed with the idea of fitting the swing arm off a later unit, is that doable without any issues? I assume the frame wasn’t changed or did they move the mounting point for the shock top? I also assume that the wheels are the same offset/width as I’ve seen an early one with the cast wheels fitted.. just wondered if I could do it the other way round if that was an option and I couldn’t retrieve the spacer from the original.
    Any thoughts/tips would be helpful.