tiger 900 project fail

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Joseph, Jul 26, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Joseph

Joseph New Member

Jul 25, 2014
    hi,

does anyone know how i could find out where 4 x silver 80mm T40 bolts might have come from - is it possible to work that out?

i bought a non-running 1998 triumph tiger 900 a couple of years ago which needed the starter clutch replacing, i started work on it and then had to relocate for work (to india). i have got back home and pretty much finished putting it back together but i have 4 bolts left over - and feel like a muppet!

I really don't want to take the engine out again so want to be sure they are not exterior before i get into that. I am fairly new to motorcycle mechanics but I was thinking that there must be a list somewhere of how many 80mm T40 bolts go into a tiger 900 and where they go.... is that true??

any help would be much appreciated.

Joe

2. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Hi welcome to the forum.

I would have a very careful exterior visual check of the bike before you do anything drastic.

Have you fitted any new parts that came with these bolts fitted that you cold have removed from the old part before discarding?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Joseph

Joseph New Member

Jul 25, 2014
    problem solved! thanks Steve and Richard.

world of triumph is a great website!

I called a triumph dealer and got brushed off as an idiot looking for a needle in a hay stack but using the search tool on the world of triumph website i was able to identify the only place on my bike where 4 x 80mm M8 screws are used. such a relief - and only had to remove the sump plate so no engine out job required.

cheers

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Glad you got it sorted :upyeah:

Post a pic of the bike once you are finished

6. Joseph

Joseph New Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Another issue..

So I have got the bike back together and it runs!! Winning!

….but, it leaks oil, a lot.

When the system is not pressurised all seems fine but when the bike I running I get oil streaming from the back left corner. I can see that it is coming from above the level of the sum seal but after that it is difficult to see where it is originating. From the volume of the oil I am losing I would guess that I have missed a corroded seal or something.

Do you know where I could find an oil way diagram to help me narrow down the possible failing point?