Tiger 800 Tiger 900 Gt New Wind Screen

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Armando Morales, Oct 5, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DamonYVR

DamonYVR Member

Dec 2, 2021
    Vancouver BC Canada
    I mentioned to @Armando Morales that I would comment on the Givi windscreen for the new Tiger. Just for historical context, before the Tiger I also had a 2017 V-Strom 650, which I swapped very briefly for a 2017 F800GS. I put bigger windscreens on both bikes. On the V-strom I had the Givi AirFlow and the 20" Madstad. Overall the Givi was better, but the Madstad, with a spoiler lip was the best.

I'm really sensitive to wind noise and buffeting on the bike. For reference, I'm just under 6'/ 180 cm tall, with a 32" inseam and I wear a Shoei Neotec II modular, and custom molded earplugs.

For the Tiger 850, I bought the Givi windscreen. the D6415ST. It bolts directly to the mounting points of the stock screen, and adjusts exactly as the factory screen does. It is wider and taller. I eventually removed the small, lower clear plastic angled bits below the screen as they are covered by the Givi.

Verdict: I love it. It does an excellent job of moving the wind without creating buffeting, and it is great at all speeds. In the low position, I get wind to the face so that is good for town riding or a breeze to cool. In the highest position I can ride at most reasonable speeds, say up to 100 kph with my visor open. Wind goes over my helmet, which is perfect for me. However, if you ride in very hot temperatures, it might block too much air, and it is probably too tall for vigorous off road stuff. However, I've done my trail and off road time with it and it does not interfere with standing at all. So, good for me on that point. Easy also to change back, if a particular ride made it sensible.

I don't remember the maximum recommended speed for this screen, but I have seen an indicated 165 kph, very briefly, and it was not wobbling all over. And that was loaded with luggage and other gear strapped on.

I'll add a couple of pictures, just to illustrate the difference between the stock and Givi screens. It looks bigger out of the box than it does on the bike.

Cheers.

IMG_8831.jpeg

IMG_8906.jpeg

IMG_8907.jpeg

IMG_8910.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Armando Morales

Armando Morales Noble Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Mexico
    Damon,
    Thanks for the detailed explanation/review

Update on my CalTech screen, I got a replacement I only paid for shipping. With the additional pieces of rubber I added at the mounting points, it has not developed cracks.