Tiger 800 Tiger 800 Advice For Buying.

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Jerican68, Nov 12, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jerican68

Jerican68 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2017
    Victoria BC
    I’ve just started looking into the Tiger 800, and after deciphering all the models available and talking to a couple of local owners on Saturday, at the dealer, it seems the 800 XR is my best bet, but I have a few questions.

Both blokes recommended the XR as most of my riding will be on road, do you agree? I’ve watched quite a few videos/reviews and one suggested looking for a second hand one that’s fully loaded so you don’t have to take the initial hit? He said that the 2015 models have more tech on them than the previous ones? The dealer here, not sure if it’s worldwide, said Triumph are offering free Givi panniers with any new purchase, up to about Xmas, worth about $1700.00 ( £1000.00). Sales ploy or worth a look?

Any other help and advice would be really appreciated. Thanks.

2. Jerican68

May 22, 2017
    Victoria BC
    Thanks. What are the pros and cons of what you’ve mentioned?

3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi mate - I have had the XR version for almost three years now and can't fault it.
    Littleade is correct in what he says about the wheel size and cast/spoke construction. Lower ride height with the XR (suited me at 5' 10" - found the XC felt too tall). XR will turn into corners quicker with the smaller wheel diameter and tubeless tyres can be repaired at the roadside with suitable kit.
    I test rode both before buying and found the XR much better suited to my needs ie. road riding and the odd gravel track. The XC is the better bet if you are at all thinking of more serious off-roading as it has the improved and more adjustable suspension.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Jerican68

May 22, 2017
    Victoria BC
    Thanks mate. I sat on both models and the XR did feel better for me, and I won’t be going off road much at all. I’m headed in the right direction I think, and I think I’ll look at second hand ones first, see what’s out there.