Ticking Engine Noise in new Thunderbird Storm ABS

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Lalit, Sep 26, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Lalit

Lalit New Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Gurgaon, Haryana, India
    Hi

I have recently purchased a new THUNDERBIRD STORM ABS in India. The bike is just 2 months old and ridden 2700 Kms. Few days back, I have noticed a strange ticking/tapping sound coming from the engine.

Took it to the Triumph Service Station and they have told me that there is some gap in one of the valves and they will put SHIM to cover this gap and stop the noise.

Does a new bike requires a shim for adjustment of valves ?

After riding the bike at higher RPM for few minutes/hours, the ticking or tapping noise gets slightly louder but not much.

Anybody having some information on this problem may please share it with me.

2. bonniebuddy

bonniebuddy New Member

Sep 16, 2014
    My guess is that the original shim was the wrong size in the first place. There has to be some valve clearance to allow for thermal expansion when the engine gets warmed up to operating temperature.
    Have you had your first "break-in-service" done? Usually this one's due after 600miles/1000km, and valve clearances should be checked!

Hope you get it sorted:upyeah:

3. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    That sounds a bit like the recall they did on the explorer earlier this year shim bucket replacement.

By the way welcome to the forum Lalit. Is there an interest in Triumph Motorcycles in India now I would imagine that the Thunderbird Storm would really stand out over there. :biggrin:

4. Lalit

Lalit New Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Gurgaon, Haryana, India
    Hi BONNIEBUDDY ! Thanks for your reply and concern shown. Yes, I have had my first " break-in-service" done on 500 miles. Rather the problem did not exist before first 500 miles, it started after the first service. I am meeting Triumph India on Tuesday for this problem.

5. Lalit

Lalit New Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Gurgaon, Haryana, India
    Hi Steve ! Thanks for this warm welcome to the FORUM !!!

Yes, lot of people are interested in Triumph Motorcyles. I owned a Harley Davidson Sportster which was sold when Triumph launched their bikes in India. Thunderbird Storm was hard to resist, so I bought this bike. Apart from Thunderbird Storm ABS, people are buying Daytona 675, Rocket 3 and Tiger Explorer in good number. :smile:

The Triumph mechanic also told that it is shim bucket adjustment. I hope it is not a major fault as the mechanic has told me to ride the motorcycle without fearing any damage the motor ?

6. Lalit

Lalit New Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Gurgaon, Haryana, India
    sorry there was a tying error. I meant " The Triumph mechanic also told that it is shim bucket adjustment. I hope it is not a major fault as the mechanic has told me to ride the motorcycle without fearing any damage to the motor ?"

7. Lalit

Lalit New Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Gurgaon, Haryana, India
    Finally, they are replacing the engine head to rectify the ticking noise problem from the engine. Painful wait of over 45 days and now some hope that they might resolve the issue

8. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    There is not really any real worry about any damage being caused the reason for the change is just due to the noise. I have not heard of any of these engines being damage by this.

Cheers

Steve

9. Lalit

Lalit New Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Gurgaon, Haryana, India
    Hi Steve, I am experiencing a considerable drop in initial torque after the engine head replacement. Any thoughts ?

Since the HEAD was replaced, I am RUNNING IN the engine again and have done 700Kms... the oil filter & oil has to be changed after 800 Kms...

10. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Sounds like they need to check the valve clearances again as what you describe sounds rather similar.

Cheers

Steve

11. Lalit

Lalit New Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Gurgaon, Haryana, India
    Thanks Steve ! I am meeting them tomorrow and this information will be handy.