Thunderbird Spot Lights

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by GaryM, May 29, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Seeing as we had MrO's thread on his spots/fogs thought it might be handy to do the same :)
    First of all a couple of bits of information
    Instructions covers both faired and unfaired bikes http://triumphinstructions.com/ProdDocs/A9938099-EN.pdf
    How someone on another forum did it http://www.tb1600.com/csp/thunderbi...Lights installed)&InSkin=BlackKnight&InPage=1
    Of course this is for Triumphs own ones, but you could buy the wiring harness parts from Triumph and adapt it for different lamps and light bars.
    Literally you get a box of parts ...... I'm currently waiting on a hoist just to lift the front of the bike up so that I can drop the shocks to get the indicators off the stantions.
    Pictures to follow once I actually fit them.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Spot on Gary, some good info there :)
    NOTE
    Looking at your second link it shows his Thunderbird supported just on a standard bike lift across the sump without any problems it seems :eek:

3. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Ok following my starting this thread, the link I posted the pictures are better than mine.
    Problems or more like niggles I've experienced whilst doing this.
    The indicators are in 3 parts. You need to take off the top two so that you are left wth just the indicator.
    You need to use an impact driver to seperate the indicator from the stalk as whatever Triumph use ( looks like a paste of some sort ) holds those two parts very firmly together.
    With the impact driver I put it in tightening up first then reversed it to loosen. I tend to have battery tools for this and mine delivers 460 nm of torque. A impact hammer would do it but you will need to be able to hold the indicator assembly in a vice using that method.

Mentioned in the write up above in the link is that the bolt for doing up the spots to the light bar is too long.
    I purchased some nyloc nuts to make sure it's done up correctly. In this case I've gone for function over form. Would rather know it was done up tight than looked good.
    It form was more important then of course you could trim the bolt but I would use some locktight it you did it that way.

Lastly wires feeding them into the light bar I found that putting the spots harness in first followed by the indicator harness easiest.
    Just remember the indicator harness with red on it is for the right hand side.
    On the spots wiring where they enter the lamp there is a rubber grommet which you need to remove to get the spade connectors in then feed them in to the grommet so that you are water tight.
    Like the poster in the linked post I found it impossible to get the spade connectors through the grommet with the plastic sheaths on so I removed those and used insulation tape to cover them to prevent the wires shorting out.
    The wires in the spot bowl are white and black so as I happen to have black and white insulation tape they were colour coded.

I will post a before and after picture later with out the indicators in place for the before.

• Like Like x 1