Featured Thunderbird LT Tour to France

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Wessa, Aug 19, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi guy's thought I would share my experience on the t'bird following my tour in France this year.

Trip Summary.
    Travel from Cheshire to Folkestone - 270 miles.
    Channel tunnel crossing 35 minutes to Calais
    Calais to Rouen - 155 miles
    Rouen to Le Mans - 149 miles
    Le Mans to Saint Nazaire - 165 miles
    Saint Nazaire to Caen - 215 miles
    Caen to Calais - 245 miles
    Channel tunnel crossing 35 minutes to Folkestone
    Folkestone to Cheshire - 270 miles

Total miles - approximately 1500 miles

The bike.
    Well what can I say other than the bike did not miss a beat during the trip. Fuel consumption (two up) was averaged at 46 mpg across the trip and it did not burn any oil.
    Comfort was excellent despite riding up to 5+ hours a day (with breaks) I did not feel any rider fatigue at all. My pillion was equally pleased with the ride comfort.
    Ride ability was excellent. Even loaded with luggage and two up the t'bird was not at all fazed. Acceleration was good for overtaking and cornering stable providing great confidence when pushing along at reasonable speeds both on the dual carriageways (tried to stay of the motorways) and in the twisty's.
    I used an Oxford 50ltr tail roll to supplement the two t'bird panniers and have to say that neither of us travelled light. Basically loads of space for our travel needs.

All of our stop over locations where excellent with loads of places to visit and tourist things to see. Le Mans for the late evening light show was one of the highlights for me (picture below).

DSC07519.jpg

Here is a picture of the lanes in Le Mans

DSC07493.jpg

And finally a picture of the bike and my brother-in-law on the ferry crossing the river Seine. The satnav took us to this an unexpected addition to our ride from Caen to Calais.

IMG_1099.jpg

Cheers

Wessa

DSC07519.jpg

DSC07493.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Sounds like you had a great time mate, and bonded ever more with your bike - good on you !!!!!!

3. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Cheers big lad, yep really have got a feel for the t'bird, such a joy to ride.

Wessa

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Glad you had a great time,that's one of the best looking t'birds I've seen,loads of grunt which is what you want 2 up touring

5. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    great pictures and a good write up of what seems an enjoyable trip for all
    thanks well done.

6. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Thanks for posting the trip report, much appreciated! Any more pics of the bike?

7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi Scoot65 here are a few more pictures. I've slipped in one with my Kawasaki W800 as well as the T'Bird.

DSCF0643.jpg

IMG_0870 (2).jpg

DSCF0638.jpg

Cheers, Wessa

DSCF0643.jpg

IMG_0870 (2).jpg

DSCF0638.jpg

8. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Thanks for the addition pics Wessa

9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Glad you enjoyed the pictures. You know bikerman I never knew that Le Mans was so beautiful either. Rouen was equally as good as well with fantastic old town as well. Normandy is certainly worth a trip.

Wessa