Thunderbird Gearing

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Alan Steyert, Nov 14, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Alan Steyert

Alan Steyert New Member

Mar 2, 2018
    Cheadle Cheshire
    Hi has anybody put a larger front sprocket on a thunderbird 900 and if so how was it best regards

2. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    I assume you know you will lose a little on acceleration and may gain a little on top end with marginally better fuel consumption.
    It may be that you will need an extra link in your chain but you should be ok, dont be tempted to go too big. I always believed it was better and easier to get a smaller rear sprocket but someone better qualified than me will be along soon I guess to help you. Good luck

3. Alan Steyert

Alan Steyert New Member

Mar 2, 2018
    Cheadle Cheshire

4. Alan Steyert

Alan Steyert New Member

Mar 2, 2018
    Cheadle Cheshire
    Hi yes i am not a speed freak i just want more relaxed motorway riding

• Like Like x 1
  5. Petrol

Petrol Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2016
    North Wilts.
    Use one tooth larger front sprocket. I tried three teeth off the rear but it runs too close to the swingarm and chews up the rubber protector. Bigger front sprocket needs a longer chain. OrderThunderbird sport chain its longer by four links. Buy the genuine triumph sprocket it has the noise reducer on it. It definitely better for fuel economy and comfort. These instructions are for the five speed.

6. Alan Steyert

Alan Steyert New Member

Mar 2, 2018
    Cheadle Cheshire

7. Alan Steyert

Alan Steyert New Member

Mar 2, 2018
    Cheadle Cheshire
    Hi chain arrived today will not fit one link too short front sprocket 19T rear 43 chain 114 links somethings wrong advice please

8. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Will the rear wheel move forward any more.

9. Petrol

Petrol Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2016
    North Wilts.
    Hmm, assuming that we are talking about a 900 thunderbird and not a thunderbird sport 114 links is four more than standard. Is it one of the very early models with an eccentric ajuster or the conventional type with the virtually impossible to get at 13 mm headed bolts ?

10. Alan Steyert

Alan Steyert New Member

Mar 2, 2018
    Cheadle Cheshire
    Hi the bike is a 1996 Thunderbird with the bolt adjusters. The front sprocket was 17T and the rear is 43T I have replaced the front with a 19T sprocket The chain is two links short at 114 the original chain with the 17T was the same length at 114 links it is being exchanged for a 116 link chain

Best Regards

11. Alan Steyert

Alan Steyert New Member

Mar 2, 2018
    Cheadle Cheshire
    Hi the bike is a 1996 Thunderbird with the bolt adjusters. The front sprocket was 17T and the rear is 43T I have replaced the front with a 19T sprocket The chain is two links short at 114 the original chain with the 17T was the same length at 114 links it is being exchanged for a 116 link chain

Best Regards

• Like Like x 1
  12. Petrol

Petrol Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2016
    North Wilts.
    Arrg didn't realise you were going to be fitting a 19t. Thats the equivalent to taking six teeth off the back sprocket. I would have thoughtthat a 18t would be the highest for pulling away in first if I remember. Trouble is I changed my rear rim to a 17 inch and then dropped the aspect ratio to 70% for the tyre which basically took me almost back to standard lol.

13. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Phone seller and swap front sprocket for a 18 :)

14. Alan Steyert

Alan Steyert New Member

Mar 2, 2018
    Cheadle Cheshire
    When the new chain arrives I will let you know the results If it does not work its easy to drop back to 18T

Best Regards

15. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Yes 18 from a daytona 955 is best option.

16. Alan Steyert

Alan Steyert New Member

Mar 2, 2018
    Cheadle Cheshire
    Hi tested the bike today it was brilliant pulls away fine no need to change gear just after pulling out of junction Motorway riding relaxed well worth the effort

Best Regards

17. Petrol

Petrol Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2016
    North Wilts.
    Nice one Alan. look out for a second hand rear wheel and get it respoked with a 17 inch rim . Your tyre choices will be much better. Happy cruising. Doug