Thunderbird 900 - Cutting Out On Bumps

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Anthony Wiggins, May 9, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Anthony Wiggins

Anthony Wiggins New Member

May 9, 2023
    Coalbrookdale
    #1 Anthony Wiggins, May 9, 2023
    Last edited: May 9, 2023
    Hello all,
    A repeating problem that’s becoming too bad to ignore.
    She rides well but, at lower revs, or even when cruising a bump, or sometimes with no warning to make sure I’m paying attention, she dies under me. Often when starting to accelerate, but more often if pothole is encountered or crappy rattle surfaces. Clutch in and starter switch always (for now) brings her immediately back to life, sometimes with an exciting backfire. This, on a 170 mile run recently happened over 20 times. Help!

0D19F99E-F70E-43AF-969E-EE45C63EA09D.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I am not particularly mechanically minded but my first thought would be a loose battery connection ;)

3. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    As above, poss loose battery connection, fuse loose, check wiring connectors for bad connection to switches etc and wiring around headstock.

4. A13BKD

A13BKD New Member
    Subscriber

Did you resolve this problem?
    A few years ago I had a K1200RS; a nice bike for commuting. I encountered a very similar problem to you - it was the battery connection to the terminal as said above - it was loose and making and breaking. But worse, the cable itself had cracked too. I was lucky enough to get a warranty claim accepted but probably not cheap. Probably worth checking for a similar brake on yours. Good luck.

5. Anthony Wiggins

Anthony Wiggins New Member

May 9, 2023
    Coalbrookdale
    An update! Problem solved by Triumphtech at Bobbington Airfield. He spotted it in seconds! a little black cap was missing from the top of one of the carbs and, (please excuse the non mechanics description), air was getting in, the carb was essentially decompressed and a bump or tip was flipping the thing inside and cutting out the engine! I’d never have spotted this missing bit. He also spotted some wired rubbing in the headlight and sorted that! Legendary!

IMG_8740.jpeg

• Like Like x 1