Thunderbird 1600 Synthetic Oil ?

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Bigtwinthing, Apr 22, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bigtwinthing

Bigtwinthing Member

Jan 14, 2018
    New Forest.
    Hi All.

Hope your out enjoying the weather. Does anybody run Fully synthetic in their Bird Please?
    Bit concerned with the Torque that I may get clutch slip.No worried about the cost, just want the best really.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Regards Paul.

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    A proper dedicated motorcycle oil - synthetic, semi synth or mineral - is designed to work with a wet clutch. Do not be tempted to use ordinary motor (car) oil as it will cause clutch slip because it is not designed to work with a wet clutch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bigtwinthing

Bigtwinthing Member

Jan 14, 2018
    New Forest.
    Thanks. I did mean Motorcycle oil, but forgot to add that sorry. it will be going in the weekend.

4. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    I have a T-Bird Commander (1700 cc) and I only use Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T full synthetic oil. The price is ridiculous (~$11.00 per quart in the US) because it has a picture of a motorcycle on the bottle, but it meets the specifications outlined by Triumph. This is what my owner manual calls for:

"Semi or fully synthetic 10W/40 or 10W/50 motorcycle engine oil which meets specification API SH (or higher) and JASO MA, such as Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 (fully synthetic) engine oil, sold as Castrol Power RS Racing 4T 10W-40 (fully synthetic) in some countries"

5. KevinK

KevinK Member

Sep 26, 2017
    Timberlake, NC USA
    I am using Castrol 10/40 4T synthetic only because that is what the owners manual calls for (even has Castrol sticker on engine from Factory)

6. Bigtwinthing

Bigtwinthing Member

Jan 14, 2018
    New Forest.
    yep I am going with castrol fully too.