Thruxton R Vibration?

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Lambretter, May 20, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Lambretter

Lambretter New Member

May 20, 2016
    Hampshire ...UK
    I've had a new Thruxton R for just over 2 weeks and it has given me really bad tingling in both hands and my right arm.
    It' been back into the dealers to have the balance shaft checked and it's first service.
    It is still doing it, has anyone else had similar issues with these bikes?

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Jeez
    Lambretta, that's not what you want. With so few around its going to be hard getting answers to that. As the Americans have had theirs for longer have you tried triumphrat.net or Thruxtonowners Facebook?
    Hope it gets sorted

• Like Like x 1
  3. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Just as an aside, is the Thruxton a new riding position. I found due to the riding position on my Thruxton , Doris, the back pad in my jacket was pressing under my armpit and causing tingling in my arm and hand.

4. Lambretter

Lambretter New Member

May 20, 2016
    Hampshire ...UK
    Yes , great position compared to my Ducati 851 and 1974 MV Augusta 350, get off with no aches to back neck or legs...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    are you feeling a lot of vibration through the grips?

6. Lambretter

Lambretter New Member

May 20, 2016
    Hampshire ...UK
    No not a lot it's like high frequency...buzzing. My MV shakes its self to bits and i get nothing in my hands..

7. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
  8. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Look here it's a Facebook page, someone with similar probS. It's not you is it :oops:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lambretter

Lambretter New Member

May 20, 2016
    Hampshire ...UK
    I took your advice...getting some good response. Test ride this morning on the dealers demonstrator was a surprise as it was worse than mine ..

10. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    No untoward vibration on mine Lambretter.

11. Lambretter

Lambretter New Member

May 20, 2016
    Hampshire ...UK
    Did exactly that on Saturday.. rode 160 miles from home to the Bike Shed event in London and back , seams to have improved things a lot along with visiting a chiropractor on the Friday which was very painful.. I still think i will need thicker grips and bar end weights .

• Like Like x 1
  12. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Someone on face book did suggest barrel grips and using your core muscles rather than leaning on the bars for support. Good to hear things are improving.

• Like Like x 1
  13. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Glad things are improving - I only test rode one for about 2 hours but had no problem with it.
    Have fitted comfy grips to previous bikes though and foind it more comfortable.

14. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    The grips are noticeably 'thinner' on the Thruxton R. I recommend Grip Puppies. I'll be chucking a pair on soon.

15. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    just as an experiment, try taping some plumbing pipe insulation, the foam kind, around your grips and see if that helps, temporarily of course

16. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Hi Lambretter
    This is a concern on a new bike. I have not had a problem but as you can see on my last post I have not gone any distance. That said there is more pressure on hands than on my old bonnie but that is to be expected. They do sell different grips but whether they have more padding in them or are just for style I have not worked out yet. Will be interesting to see what the likes of Norman Hyde come up with.Keep us posted.

17. drinky

drinky Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Newbury
    Interesting, I did about 2 1/2 hours on a test ride Monday afternoon on a R, definately had 'tingly' fingers but put it down to riding at the higher end of the rev range. Told a mate about my future purchase and he told me of his mate who has the same problem on his Thrux. I'll look at some bar weights, wonder if they are on back order?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Have you checked out that face book that I think Crispey was talking about, other people were having vibration problems and also on triumph rant and these guys were all over six feet tall, tinglings in hands etc. I am only 5ft 10ish and only had a slight problem, which i will cure with putting some gel inserts on my glove palms, taking the mountain bike approach, and also using Bonso idea of grip puppies. ( went out with a girl once that wanted to show me her puppies ) different times

19. Wag

Wag Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    exmouth
    Hi, my R arrived on Friday, the reason I found this forum now is due to vibes -but I thought it was due to the suspension, it feels like i'm riding over very small pebbles a lot of the time . I've tweaked the settings a bit but haven't had time to check the ride since and i'm just off to mi sons for tea. It doesn't feel like the engine to me, I can see my hands shaking up and down slightly when it does it . ttfn

20. Wag

Wag Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    exmouth
    I'm still trying to work this out , I don't know if it's the engine or the ride . I've twiddled the suspension hither and thither. When i'm on a smooth road , it's still shaking/