Thruxton R Tyre Choice

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by timboo, Jan 19, 2024.

1. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    Hi

I’ve finally worn out my Rosso Corsa 2’s from 2017.

Times sure have moved on.

My current options I am considering are the following

Metzeler M9-rr
    Bridgestone S22
    Rosso Corsa 4

Bridgestone ones are the cheapest by £40 with the rosso being most expensive. The gap between Metzeler and pirelli is £10

I’d appreciate feedback good and bad on these tyres please.

2. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    Ive read that the bridgestones are not as good in the wet, not a game changer as only ride in dry warm weather anyway.0

3. RetTh'ead

RetTh'ead Well-Known Member

May 16, 2021
    Southern Scotland
    Hello there,
    There was a similar thread started back in May 2022 with some good input from many riders, might be worth a look. I have not tried the exact model of tyre you are asking about but have tried a couple of similar models.
    I have had two Thruxton Rs putting over 30 thousand miles on both. I ride almost exclusively on twisty A and B roads in southern Scotland for pure pleasure. Given the fact that I am now happily retired all rides are at least 100 miles and nearly always on dry roads. I would describe my riding style as steady for an old duffer, enjoying "making progress" on all roads with the aim of having a good ride.
    For comparison of wear on the original Pirelli's I got 2,500 miles on both bikes before they were squared and steering was badly effected.
    Bridgestone S21.... 2700 miles. Good feel but seemed to take ages to warm up and give me confidence to push, others have not had this experience.
    Metzeler 01....... 3200 miles Good feel from the off and performed well on the sub standard tarmac of many of my local Dumfries roads
    Metzeler 01SE ....... 3250 miles similar to the original but gave a strange harsh feel through the bars not sure if they altered the construction.
    Michelin Road5 ...... 3700miles, the only tyre I would willingly push coming out of wet corners.
    Metzeler M7RR ...... 2800 miles, similar in feel to S21 a bit disappointing overall
    Dunlop Sportsmart 3....3500 miles suited my riding style warmed up well gave lovely progressive feel and lasted well. Second set on my current bike 2800 and looking like the rear will need replacing in less than a 1000 miles but the front should last
    Dunlop Roadsmart 3 .... 1200miles (sold the bike). Second set on new bike 3800miles worn out
    No puzzles with chain clearance with any of the tyres fitted
    Maybe some food for thought?
    Cheers Th'ed(ret)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    #4 timboo, Jan 20, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
    Many thanks for the input. My bike has just over 5k on it now. Bought it with a couple of k on it so wondering if they were not actually the original set based upon the miles u getting. I have had no issues with the corsas really like them. Often think better the devil u know but always open to options.
    Roads here are very flat some good country lanes but no comparison im sure to your roads albeit weather will be far dryer here. the undulating roads especially in the fens (Fendland) absolutely batter the suspension.
    I never ride at night or after sunset only water they see is the odd trickle across a road in a dip which i curse and literally do 2 mph over so not to splatter my radiator.
    Wet performance is of no consequence but quick warming of tyres is.

Unless im reading it incorrectly the dunlops seem to be your go to tyre based upon dry performance and your thoughts.

Never commented on my riding style. predominantly I am a creature of habit and use a similar base route to get onto the country roads.
    I’ve never had my knee down but tend to vary riding style between enjoying the scenery to pushing corners as hard as i can.

5. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    +1 for the Roadsmarts (I'm on the IV) ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. RetTh'ead

RetTh'ead Well-Known Member

May 16, 2021
    Southern Scotland
    Hi there,
    I have read on a number of occasions that the road surfaces up this way are much more abrasive ( larger & more widely spaced granite chippings in the tar ) to cope with the wet and sometimes icy conditions. Thus tyres wear out faster so maybe the tyres on your bike were original, when I lived south of the border I was getting much more life out of a pair of tyres but at that time I was commuting so perhaps not riding as spiritedly.
    Yes, having tried a variety of tyres I would say the Dunlop Sportsmarts are my "go to" choice and would have no hesitation in suggesting them as an alternative to try. Although the Roadsmarts are a close second if riding in colder /wetter conditions was more your bag. However if I could find any of the previously mentioned tyres at a "bargain" price I would be swayed, but that maybe more to do with my Yorkshire roots rather than any biking considerations!
    Cheers Th'ed(ret)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Conventional wisdom would suggest that Road 6's should at least be on the list.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Agreed on the road6. I have the Road 5’s on both my Tiger and Thruxton and will be upgrading to the 6’s.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    Never even crossed my mind about the different construction of roads very valid point thanks for highlighting that.

10. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    Thanks everyone for the input.

I’m converted going to give the roadsmart IV a whirl.
    Wheels going away to have the tubeless conversion and tyres fitted at same time.
    Just need to purchase a puncture repair kit now.
    Roll on lighter days and warmer weather.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Amazing Grace
    I think I mentioned that on my last trackday with Ron Haslam’s Race School at Donington all the machines were fitted with Dunlop RoadSmarts.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    Yeah seem a good alternative overall and not a bad price which is an even bigger bonus