Thruxton R Side Stand: Boot Lever Extension

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Cafe Racer, May 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer Member

May 30, 2018
    UK
    Prompted by reading of the same issue in another thread I am reminded to close off this thread.

I gave up with a mechanical fix in the end. I simply dismount the bike first whilst it's held against the front brake, and then push the side stand down with the toe of my right boot.

2. Jonny Thruxton

Jonny Thruxton New Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Toronto

Yup. I've had the same issue whenever I wear my racing boots. Such a nuisance

3. Stephen Flaherty

Stephen Flaherty New Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Ireland
    Read through all the posts and am amazed that apparently there is no off the shelf extension available for this problem. I would not describe it as a minor quirk. I have the exact same issue with my boots on my new (2016) thruxton R. No issues with my T120 or my other bikes - Kawasaki ZXR 1200R and Ducati Monster 821. The only way I can deploy the side stand on my thruxton is to stoop down while sitting on the bike and move it by hand.

4. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    I used the same idea years ago when i was a bike courier in London. Worked a treat. The pipe never came off and made life much easier getting off and on every 5 minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stephen Flaherty

Mar 16, 2019
    Ireland
    Yes but you have got to keep your Thruxton R in the style that it is accustomed. So a bit of copper pipe sticking out might look well - a bit agricultural.

I am sure its not beyond the skills limit of a good engineering works to cut the little (very little) extension and add in a piece so that it looks totally OEM. That's going to be my first and only mod to the Thruxton. It would make life a lot easier.

Getting off the bike after perhaps doing 300 miles being stiff and sore and then trying to balance it while fumbling with your foot to get the side stand down is a recipe for the bike falling over away from you.

6. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    I didn't use a copper pipe, i use an H/D clear Nylon hose with the criss-cross string inside it. Think it was can off a lorry. It tarnishes after a while but stays flexible enough not to break. A quick search found it's about 30p a foot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stephen Flaherty

Mar 16, 2019
    Ireland
    I got a new different pair of motorcycle boots with a narrower heel and can use my foot to lower the kickstand fine now when wearing them.