Thruxton R Quickshifter - Coil Question

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by BMac60, Jul 9, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BMac60

BMac60 New Member

May 19, 2020
    Newcastle, Australia
    BMac60
    I am in the process of fitting a Translogic Quickshifter to my Thruxton R. The kit does not plug in to the factory quickshifter harness plug under the left side cover. (?)
    Instead I have a harness with connections that intercept the positive wires into the coils (located on the frame under the fuel tank).
    But what I need to know is which of the blade terminals on the coils is positive. The ( open - backed )left side connection fig1. or the right side (closed backed) connection fig1. ?
    can anyone help?

i know that a multimeter will show which wire has a + 12 v current if I switch the key on, but I would imagine that with the tank off, I would need to pull the fuel pump relay or fuse so as not to have a triumph BBQ.
    I am also thinking I might get a fault light / code issue.
    i will attach the diagram of the coil and terminals from the service manual ( RHS) and a pic of my Coil (LHS)

8ED2F5C6-DA59-4622-A1B9-55E04FE1A9ED.jpeg

43CBF7E3-3A9E-4045-B3C7-123A57DD1696.jpeg

2. dibber

dibber New Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Somerset
    I have just done this on my RS. I'm colour blind so cant tell you the colour of the connection but i just reconnected the battery, turned on the ignition and used a multimeter. My shifting is quite clunky so still trying to fine tune the trigger point timing. How have you got on with yours?

3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The -ve posts will share a common earth (black?) whereas the +ve feed will come direct from the ECU. I would be surprised if quick shifter operation was significantly impacted by using the wrong terminal because the current is transiting the winding at light speed....