Thruxton R Barrel Fault Hairline Crack Or Porosity Leaking Coolant

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by timboo, Aug 6, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    :) Glad you gained in the end

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jack Robertson

Jun 20, 2021
    Scotland
    I've just had a quick read as I'm at work, I take it it's not been sold as a Triumph approved bike? I bought 2 Thruxtons last year, A 2018 and a 2019 and were both Triumph approved which came with 1 years warranty, Please ignore if you've already been asked,
    Must read the whole post when I get a minute

3. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    Thanks that was one of the first contentions with the dealer, which I never got to the bottom of having phoned head office and several other dealers each giving a different version as to what the warranty was or wasn’t. Just a mess vs other brands past and present. The warranty description on Triumphs own website is much to be desired vs the description given on say a used Ducati.

4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi @timboo I have sent you a pm:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    Cheers I have replied

6. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    #46 timboo, Aug 15, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    Sorry only just seen this. During a call with Triumph uk I seem to remember them saying that had i been the original owner they would have looked at it in a different light. Obviously the first owners of every bike are the best owners.
    Glad yours got sorted anyway. Which Triumph dealer did u purchase from? I posted somewhere on here that newer bikes suffer more commonly with casting issues than older ones according to Triumph. Keen to understand why that is and how it hasn’t been picked up on and rectified. Also having seen the stress testing at the factory that they put 1 of each model bike under and then retain for 10yrs surprised it too hasn’t picked anything up given how commonly used the bonneville engine is

• Like Like x 2
  7. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi timboo, If your dispute goes to the final stage (small claims court), and hopefully it won't come to that, if however it does then the case will be heard at your local Magistrates Court, a few years ago there was a re structure of Courts in England, it was to streamline the system and reduce the number of Courts, although it did increase the amount of cases in the remaining Courts, in effect what took place was that the small claims Court and the Family Courts were integrated into the Magistrates Courts that remained, the small claims cases are heard by a single District Judge (DJ), he or she has sight of all the evidence before the case is heard that is submitted by claimant and defendant. Start by getting together in date order, starting with any copy of the advert, document dates and times of conversations in a diary, copy all e mail and recorded letters sent, in effect you are creating a "prosecution file", the more comprehensive the better (although it has to be truthful and factual), not guesswork or supposition, the last thing you need is a "he said she said scenario", if it comes to a Court claim then you decide the Court you wish it to be listed at (your local Magistrates Court), you will have little to travel, however the dealer will have to travel the 150 mile each way, you can call all the staff members you dealt with (if it relates to the sale of the machine, after sales, and fault reporting), the dealer will undoubtedly seek the advice and or representation of the company solicitor, don't let this put you off, the DJ will allow you a lot of leeway unlike the defence solicitor whom will not. In essence the harsh reality facing the dealer of financial loss through Court costs (staff away for the day, solicitors fees, time in preparation, bad publicity etc etc) will far outweigh any cost to repair, or it may be you wish to return the machine for a full refund, and buy something different from a reputable trustworthy dealership. If you lived nearer I would happily assist you to prepare a "case file" if needed. Ride safe all from an ageing Rocker.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
  8. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    PM sent cheers
    I was unaware of the changes to the court system. good to know.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Evidently all crankcases are pressure checked and if found to be defective they are resin injected and the n used on the assembly line. As the water jacket takes a fluid under pressure you would have thought the same would apply.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    If all else fails and so thinking of the repair options plus I am a TIG welder amongst other things this info by @Baza puts a different slant on things.
    In effect if welded would the resin burn potentially creating further leaks elsewhere?

Maybe welding isn't an option?

11. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Good point !

12. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    My thoughts on an insitu remedy was based on the defect being a hairline crack whereas the conversation with the factory refers to porosity of the casting. Cracks can be identified by tried and trusted NDT methods but would those methods work on a porosity defect, I don’t know.

Also I may have misled you, I understand from one of my sources that the barrels and their coolant jacket aren’t pressure tested so there should be no fear of resin being present at the site of the defect.

Apologies for leading you up the garden path.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bolosun

Bolosun Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    I would assume if this was going down the legal avenue the bike would need stripping and an engineer report explaining what the issue is and what would be needed to remedy the problem. New barrels or repair.

14. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    This may assist the OP if he still has doubts over the issues location or for others with similar concerns....

Pressure testing can come in various forms.
    I would assume that most manufacturers will do some water cooling pressure test as part of their quality control albeit it may be the full system as opposed to individual items.

Using the dye/pen system, simplest form = two aerosols, one red very fluid ink for penetration, combined with another of white sort of talcuum powder aerosol (think a greater scale of deodorant held too close to clothing) to act as blotting paper and so with capillary action show porosity defects but there are better methods.

Personally if you need to satisfy your curiosity I would simply buy another radiator cap. Many moons ago I had a commercial testing kit with various caps and what looked like a balloon pump with pressure gauge, the below is simply mimicking that :p

Do not dismantle anything!

Modify the spare cap to accept a bicycle pump and blow the system up to the cap rating ( possible 1.2 bar; check).
    Froth some soapy water up with a brush and apply to casings etc freely and it will show the issue up quite clearly.

The only issue you may have here is if the porosity/crack is heat expansion related. Do the cold test first as it maybe blatantly obvious and so no need to go further.

So, if later questioned :(
    You removed the cap, could argue if need be that you were checking coolant level ;)
    You put diluted washing up liquid on the engine cases - you were cleaning it ;)

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Personally I feel the only acceptable answer if the casting was found cracked or porous is new barrels.

A lot of years ago I welded quite a few cracked diesel cylinder head water jackets. In the trade they were known as "boomerang heads" as very few stayed on the cylinders for long. I did quite a bit of pressure testing and trying different methods of tig repair.
    What surprised me most was the quality/purity/cleanliness of the base metal varied so much from very clean (Nissan IIRC) to downright shockingly dirty (BMW IIRC).

The above was a lot of years ago and may not now be correct but the lesson was learnt: a new casting is the only predictably reliable outcome.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    #56 timboo, Aug 23, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
    Thanks all for the responses. I have recently had cause to instruct an expert witness within the field to inspect my bike and produce a report scheduled early September. Very much looking forward to the findings now.
    I have also found out that some of the parts required to replace the barrels are unavailable as is the labour at my local main dealer.
    From a legal perspective I’m hoping some ground is made in the near future on the basis the report is fruitful.
    I was about to type a load more on this post but being careful what I say with regards to the dealers handling of the situation to date. I recommend reading some of the recent reviews online for the time being. All will hopefully be revealed in the near future covering my current experiences and those to come what ever that may be.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Do I understand that your local dealer is refusing to carry out the remedial works?

18. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    No they just dont have the capacity duebto their senior member retiring and parts guessing pandemic is playing a part.

19. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Give Rich a call at their Woburn branch.

• Like Like x 1
  20. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    Changed the title so it represents the probable issue and is easier to find for others in the same boat in the future.

• Like Like x 1