Thruxton R Barrel Fault Hairline Crack Or Porosity Leaking Coolant

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by timboo, Aug 6, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #21 learningtofly, Aug 9, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    Not sure I understand the question. I was just quoting Triumph's own commitment to buyers of approved used bikes.

Edit: Ah, got you. Sorry, didn’t check.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    I have several screen shots of that extract from Blades website. The stars lead to “Triumph warranty services” A trading name for car care plan Which is as clear as mud when you attempt to read into it and phone them.
    The Triumph dealer in Question is Blade Triumph in Swindon.
    Hopefully tomorrow I will get a clearer standpoint from their perspective.

3. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    I think the single most important part is the initial statement about their used bikes.

4. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi timboo, immaterial of what Blade say a machine must be "fit for purpose", don't loose hope, insist they remedy the fault, and that you intend to make a formal complaint to Triumph direct. If still no satisfaction I can talk you through a course of action that most certainly will not go in Blade's favour, dealers like Blade and Total Triumph infuriate me with their extremely poor customer service when things go wrong. I have nothing but praise for my local Triumph dealer, I wrote to Triumph direct to commend them, stating that more of their dealers need to aspire to the same high standards. Sadly there are still a small number of Triumph dealerships who's sole interest is financial gain, to the detriment of paying customers, those minority dealers are exceptional with the right talk when customers are buying machines, clothing and parts, as mentioned they show their true colours when things go wrong. Ride safe all from an ageing Rocker.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    #25 timboo, Aug 9, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    Thanks for your support hoping it doesn’t come to any of that and they just get it sorted. Agree re fit for purpose which it clearly isn’t. Consumer law can be a good fall back providing there are other examples of similar nature in the public domain.
    Should it even get fixed it has really knocked my confidence in the brand from a reliability perspective. Parts like this shouldnt go wrong after just over 3k miles. The more I think about it and each time I go in my garage the more ridiculous the situation seems. Whats to say the next one wont do the same. I need some data to put my mind at ease.

6. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    One other question to ask mate is how many miles have been put on it since your purchase as again that could be used as some evidence on your side that despite the time delay it has hardly been used.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    HEAR, HEAR and AMEN to all of that!

It's easy to lose the wider perspective when something like this smacks you in the face and begins to look frighteningly, frustratingly expensive in financial and time costs.

Try to keep in mind that, as bad as it is for you personally (and I'm NOT trying to diminish ANY aspect of that) it is, I suspect, a relatively uncommon occurrence. Triumph must have produced many thousands of Thruxtons and, whilst we might hear occasional stories of poor quality finishes; poorly fitted or manufactured parts and even defects we don't really hear that many tales of porous castings of vital engine components. Doesn't help you as the 'victim' in this case and your perspective is, understandably, rather more important than the wider one here but there seem to be people here willing to help and advise with great experience of consumer rights so I'm optimistic that the outcome will be positive for you personally and for Triumph corporately.

Keep the faith - at least a little bit longer.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    :(Todays update

William Jephson (Service manager) from Blade was due to call back today, alas he didnt do so I phoned them. Reception advised that he wasn’t in today even though he said he would call me today.
    I don’t know if thats because of a genuine reason but based on a balance of probabilities I’m not convinced.

I’ve since lodged a complaint with Triumph UK as I’m doing all the chasing and whilst it’s only 3 days in there is absolutely no urgency being shown by Blade from my perspective. I’m not privy to what is going on behind the scenes for all I know they maybe doing a lot but their communication isn’t very good. This is consistent with point of sale. It took nearly a month from test ride to receiving my bike ‍

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi timboo, have a look at companies house records (freely available) for Blade Motorcycles, 2 current directors have other company directorships, some chequered history, they are also involved in car leasing and sales. I am perplexed as to why Triumph with a global footprint do not do stringent background checks on directors and their history, including a DBS request. I am pleased you have contacted Triumph and this should move things along fairly quickly.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    Cheers, for smaller companies I have previously gone on companies house, it honestly never entered my mind to check out a main dealer. You learn something new every day.
    I asked Triumph for some figures in terms of no. of failures. They said there has been more failures on newer bikes and not so much on bikes the age of mine ie rather rare and it usually occurs within 6 months or so.
    In one sense that is good but the other not so good ie is a newer part more likely to fail again.

Touch wood I will see some progress very soon

• Like Like x 2
  11. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    Great start to a Friday morning. I’ve chased up Triumph uk and they have advised they wont be doing anything in terms of a gesture of goodwill, they have totally detached themselves from the situation so now rests with Blade Triumph.

• WTF WTF x 1
  12. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    #32 timboo, Aug 12, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    I’ve still not been able to reach Blade Swindon.
    On that basis I have drafted and sent a formal complaint to Blade Triumph under the consumer rights act 2015 following legal advice.
    Due to a more formal route I wont be providing specific details on here as I dont want to prejudice my case but rest assured I aint going to let this lie I fully understand the route I need to take.
    I have brushed the warranty dispute to one side no point at this moment in time continuing down that path when there is stronger legislation available.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love You Love You x 1
  13. SPC1

SPC1 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2019
    UK
    I'm surprised that Triumph aren't more sympathetic about your problem.
    The cylinder block is a non service item that would normally last the entire life of the engine.
    Unless the leak has been caused by an impact (which would be obvious) the fault can only be due to a manufacturing defect.
    The dealer sounds like they've got no interest but it may be worth pointing out that a court case (which they would probably lose on the basis of unsuitable for the purpose supplied) would do their reputation great harm.
    You would have to obtain an expert witness report to substantiate your claim which shouldn't be a problem and you should be able to use the Small Claims Court system which doesn't cost much.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    #34 timboo, Aug 12, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    I did actually call triumph uk just to advise them that I was going to go down the formal route with the dealer and that the longer this drags the more vocal I may become.
    I am following the 3 stages under my statutory rights then will see what happens from there. Cheers re expert witness co incidentally I have used one in this field before who did an amazing job. so just a waiting game of 3x 7 days for me. I for-see the longer this drags on the more costly it will be for them in the long run, I have very little doubt that the expert witness will concur with my thoughts and comments on here.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Gina

Gina New Member

Aug 12, 2022
    Bettendorf Quad Cities
    My buddy has a new 2022 900 and he had the EXACT same coolant leak on his l\h cylinder.. He pointed it out to me by inserting Q tips between the cylinder fins and sure enough the green liquid was on the end of it....The local dealer changed the whole barrell under warranty. EvidentlyTriumph has a coolant casting problem but how could this happen on both the 900 and the 1200.

16. Bolosun

Bolosun Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    If you paid £100 or more for any part of the bike with your credit card, you can get your money back through them. I did this with a car a few years ago.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I had a similar problem with Triumph a few years ago. I engaged them through email over a period of time and in the end I asked for my money back as the bike did not meet the sale of goods act. Thriumph quickly pointed out that my contract was with the dealer and therefore needed to address my complaint with them.
    Don't give up, and good luck with getting a resolution.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    Thanks much appreciated. Did it put you off keeping a Triumph?

19. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Nope, I got my money back and put it down on a tiger sport 1050. In many ways it is a better bike than the one I gave them back.

• Like Like x 5
  20. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    #40 timboo, Aug 14, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    Thanks I’m reading up on section 75 of this and plan on calling the bank to understand the fine grain detail and whether it is an option.
    Initial thoughts are that it overlaps a lot with the Consumer Rights Act 2015.