Thruxton Puncture Repair in Spain (not tubeless)

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Thruxty, Jul 28, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Thruxty

Thruxty New Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Wimbledon
    #1 Thruxty, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    At the end of September I'm taking my lovely Thruxton R on a mini tour of Spain with a couple of friends - Bilbao, Pamplona, Jaca, (N260) Andorra, Zaragoza etc. Can't wait.

The Thruxton is not so lovely if you get a puncture because it's not tubeless - as I recently found it (a nail). The inner tube was replaced quickly and cheaply by Steve at Superbike tyres who turned up in his van - highly recommended BTW (https://www.yell.com/biz/superbike-tyres-carshalton-901100005/) [as an aside, this was after the Triumph Assist AA guy turned up, promptly proclaimed the tyre to be tubless and stuck a big hole in it ready to plug - but that's another story....)

I did ask Steve whether it was worth learning to repair the type myself ready for Spain and he said that, without a paddock stand, it's almost impossible - and even with a stand, with basic tools it's still bloody difficult.

Obviously I will make sure I have the usual European breakdown cover (will upgrade Triumph Assist to Europe) etc - but in the event of a puncture I want to avoid having to be transported to a workshop somewhere. Ideally I'd have the phone numbers of a couple of Steve equivalents in Spain who are motorcycle-specific and can turn up and replace the tube on the spot (I'll be taking spare tubes in case they don't have the right ones)

Do such people exist in Spain - or is anyone aware of any solutions in the areas we're going? Or are the standard roadside assist companies actually ok - and if so, is one better than the others for motorcyclists?

Any advice greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Liam

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hard one, thruxty, I guess gave some sort of tyre weld, I used to be able to change a tube on the roadside in the 70's but still needed to get s lift to a petrol station to inflate it. For some reason I don't think if attempt it now, too many tools to carry. I will be intersted to see your solution if you find one

3. Thruxty

Thruxty New Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Wimbledon
    Thanks Crispey, yes, agreed - I'm not the most practical or experienced person when it comes to bikes and the idea of learning to do it myself, carrying all the tools etc doesn't appeal to be honest - although I will investigate - thanks for your feedback

4. Thruxty

Thruxty New Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Wimbledon
    Thanks Littleade - I wil investiage this further, cheers

5. Giles

Giles Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Surrey
    Our paths may cross Thruxty!
    We're travelling across on the 25th Sept to Santander, returning via Bilbao on the 4th Oct.
    like you I am panicking a bit over the puncture scenario and am intending to take some tyre weld but think I will also be adding some slime instant sealant as a precaution. I'm contemplating taking spare tubes too....

6. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Sounds like fun, I'm off to France myself next week :)

The tubed tyres was one of the things that put me off of a T120.
    I was very surprised when the salesman told me that Triumph still aren't using tubeless rims for their wire wheels.:confused:

You can get kits to make tubed wire rims suitable for tubeless fitting (from Central Tyre Services I think it was) as another option.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thruxty

Thruxty New Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Wimbledon
    Hi Giles - yes, I think our paths will cross - we're doing a shorter trip - out on 28th but back same day as you on 4th so must be the same boat - no doubt see you at the bar! I will be taking inner tubes and keeping my fingers crossed. Do you know what sort of slime sealant you'll be using? Might look into that as well, thanks

8. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    I'm perhaps being a bit dim BUT I didn't think slime and tyre weld and all that sort of thing works with inner tubes. I thought that those solutions where for tubeless tyres. But I've been wrong before many times.
    Andy

9. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Slime is in all my inner tubes in the mountain bikes. Worth a shot, but keep an eye on tyre pressures, cos they will go down if punctured, just not all the way.

10. Giles

Giles Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Surrey
    Hi this is the product I've purchased http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...GBfA6dNyymzpU5QNunCYFNYGA_CPekkqDwaAlRm8P8HAQ

should be here today and I intend to put it in over the weekend. one problem is that there are varying views if tyre weld would work once slime is in the tubes but the consensus seems that tyre weld is a more reliable product, fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Too many Negative waves Man. You wont get a puncture;):D.

• Like Like x 3
  12. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

If I had never met the plastic paddy, and read the above comment, I would think he is just like his avatar !!!!

Maybe he is turning hippy on us , man. ;):D

• Like Like x 1
  13. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    [​IMG]:D

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thruxty

Thruxty New Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Wimbledon
    OK thanks Giles - I will investigate, cheers

15. Giles

Giles Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Surrey
    Looks like you've customised your stem nut, is that for a satnav? and which nut is it please?
    ta
    Gilesy

16. Thruxty

Thruxty New Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Wimbledon
    Hi Giles - actually that's just a generic pic of a thruxton I found on the web - although I do have an attachment for GPS - see attached images. You need a RAM bolt attachment. It's very easy - just replaces one of the bolts on the handlebars (and it comes with the correct bolt - you need pick the M6 option). See here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ET28G2Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then you just need a case to fit on depending on which phone you have. I have an iphone 6 so got this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ZP7OX6K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You just unscrew the case when you don't need it - takes a matter of seconds. And if you want to charge the phone on the go, just run a lead over the tank beneath seat to the USB charger

Pic1.JPG

pic2.JPG