Thruxton Thruxton Levers

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by TonyG, Jul 24, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    #1 TonyG, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    I have just fitted some Puig brake and clutch levers to my Thruxton 1200S. I ordered levers for the T120 because my Triumph dealer confirmed they were the same part number and while Puig do levers for the R they don't list them for the S. It all seemed straightforward to fit, but engaging 1st gear now seems to be much more clunky. I had to adjust the cable and am getting good engagement at the lever, no sloppiness at all. I put the original lever back on and that seemed clunkier than I remember as well. I don't know if I'm just imagining it now, do all Thruxtons engage 1st gear with a solid clunk? As I say, lever travel and engagement feels very good so can't see how the Puig lever could cause it.

Cheers

2. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Mines a bit clunky into first but not terrible

3. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    I've been riding something else so wasn't sure if I was just imagining it. As I say, no sign of clutch drag or anything and seems to ride ok. Maybe just because I wasn't wearing a lid and was being hyper sensitive.

Thanks

4. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    Yup. 1st is a clunk. After that, preload and smooth as silk.

5. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    I went for a quick ride today and all seemed well, didn't really notice any clunk with ear plugs and helmet on and just trying not to look out for one. I think I have motorcycle hypochondria and just imagine problems. Sitting on the bike constantly putting it in and out of gear and being acutely aware just magnified the clunk.

I did realise I had been a bit thick when I installed the clutch lever though, completely forgot about the sensor which cuts the engine if you have it in gear with the stand down. I wondered why it was a bit awkward too get the lever in and I kept hearing a and feeling a solid click when I finally got the lever in. I was lucky not to break it. Just to eager to get them fitted.

Cheers