Thruxton 1200r

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Spacefrog, Oct 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Spacefrog

Spacefrog Active Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Hello folks,
    I currently ride a Yamaha FZ6 but have eventually seen the light and am now on the verge of buying a thruxton 1200R which has to be green, if not black, i have saved every penny to buy it outright so i have done a lot of research and watched so many online vids about the bike, so i have decided its the bike for me, however i am slightly confused about the fact that my main dealer and another triumph dealer 150 miles away seem to have limited stock of what i want, and i can only see or view the silver or white versions.
    So does this mean that i will either have to choose a silver or white or will i still be able to get the colour i want, ive saved for along time for my dream bike but it seems that this isnt as easy as i thought….ive just sent this email to Hinkley but not yet had a reply…..

I want to buy a new triumph thruxton 1200R, I have been to my main dealer and test ridden a bike, however I am finding that their seems to be a shortage of bikes and have a long order time, I would really like a green or black, can you please tell me, if I order a bike what is the realistic waiting time and also will I still be able to order a green or maybe shiny black/matte black version? Are these colours still being produced?
    My main local main dealer is offering a good deal but there seems to be just silver or white models available.
    I would really appreciate if you could clear this up for me and I would also appreciate any advice and help as I am defiantly ready to buy a new bike now or early in the coming new year.
    Thank you and I look forward to your reply.

Can anyone offer any information

• Like Like x 2
  2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome..... I've not really researched buying a thruxton, but have bought a number of new triumphs. I would have thought that if you place an order now you would have your new bike by the spring? Offer the dealer a deposit and I'm sure they will get a delivery date from triumph.
    Wessa

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello Spacefrog and welcome to the forum :)

The only people who can tell you if the colour/model is in stock or the length of time you’d have to wait is the dealers themselves.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Spacefrog

Spacefrog Active Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Thank you all for the replies and indeed advice, and andyc1 its been a very hard decision to choose a colour for me without you making it worse, ha.:).
    Although i know thats not true…. :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Spacefrog

Spacefrog Active Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Stop it…..

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Obviously had some tuition off Crispey :cool: as it’s a great photo.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    ...but not his satnav otherwise he would have got lost! :joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  9. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Elite Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    Welcome space frog the fastest bike's are always BLACK _20180704_103525.jpg Tucker

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    Welcome to the forum! Out of curiosity, I went to the UK AutoTrader site and found a matt black and green version of the bike. Hopefully, the link brings up the right search page. I don't hesitate to travel long distances to buy motorcycles (20 hours round-trip is my longest so far) - mostly to save a significant % on the purchase cost. It may be different in the UK, but most of the dealers here will still schedule you for maintenance in a 'timely' fashion even if you don't buy the bike from them. You can usually make the deal on phone or internet, put down a refundable deposit if it isn't as advertised/stated, pick the cheapest travel option and ride the bike home (best part). ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Spacefrog

Spacefrog Active Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Somerset UK

Yes Hack driver, the link worked, i have been looking around for the last month and its been a big suprise to me how this bike selling works…. for instance the green bike you refer to doesn't actually exist, if you would like to contact the dealer who is selling it, he will gather your telephone number and email address, and then call you back to say sorry its sold, but i will keep your details and call you back every week and pester you into buying one of my other bikes i happen to have, this goes for the matte black one for sale last week to…… i called Hinkley last week about this dealer doing ecactly that, was an all singing and dancing thruxton R in black with all the extras, race fairing, V&H exhausts,brand new with zero milage, etc all for £12,200 , called them about it too and was sold, but told me they would keep my details and get back if another came up.
    that actual dealer was 200 miles away when i am 8 miles from my nearest triumph dealer. Damn cheek.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Welcome aboard Spacefrog, hope you enjoy the forum and get a result in finding the bike you want to call your own, shame you missed the almost new one for sale on here this week.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Hi Spacefrog and welcome. Some interesting comments which I can relate to having spent some time the last few weeks searching for a vehicle for my niece. I would see a vehicle advertised only to find out aftter calling that it's no longer available, then the pestering starts

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Spacefrog

Spacefrog Active Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Yes i think these practices is a common thing but you dont realise until it happens to you, as its not every year you have to go deal with them, i think gone are are the days off total honesty where money is concerned, i did infect get quite interested in a bike on auto trader, was a black thruxton 1200, it was brand new, 6 miles on the clock and was told it was unregistered and mine for £8500, which made me very wary, i couldnt understand why it was being sold so cheaply, only to find that metropolis triumph had closed down the very next day, obviously the dealer trying to rake back some cash quickly…. ive learned a lot in the past few weeks about these dealers and there not quite as you expect behaviour, everything is a scam nowadays and its pretty difficult to trust anyone and what they tell you these days. if you need to know anything then you have to find out for yourself, my local dealer for instance…. i was told that if i need a green or black bike it was a pretty long wait and they portray that the bike you actually want is difficult to obtain, this being their little scam to sell you one you dont really want because they want it off there shop floor.
    Its my money and i will be the one calling the shots.

• Like Like x 3
  15. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Hi spacefrog
    Welcome I do believe the other day when I was over at Bulldog triumph they had a green one sitting there brand new. Almost sure it was green as I won't ride a green bike no particular reason just don't like green. You mentioned the Mourne mountains where do you hail from originally. Also if you go to any Triumph dealer and ask them to do a search via triumph dealers website they can locate any green machines for you. But try bulldog triumph in winersh reading. I know its a way out but I think they do delivery.
    Good Luck
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Spacefrog.
    Don't accept anything other than the bike you want it will only make you unhappy. Phone around and try bulldog I found them terrific and helpful beyond a doubt and you can haggle with them. When I purchased my 900 bonnie I got a centre stand discounted to pieces got the alarm moved from my 1200 to the 900 and a discounted seat rail.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
  18. Spacefrog

Spacefrog Active Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Hello Joe , i am near Bath/Bristol and the mourne mountains were mentioned by andyc1, looks a nice place tho wherever it is, i might google it, it might be in Wales but there again could be Scotland…. ha.
    i might contact bulldog tomorrow and see what they have…. my local dealer had a matt black one in the show room and i am getting rather tempted, the hardest thing about getting a new bike or rather getting a second bike is convincing the wife that you need a second bike, i test rode a silver thruxton and brought it home for her to sit on…… i think I've sorted out that hurdle now. ha.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Ring around until you find a dealership with the bike you want.
    Don’t settle for something you don’t want as you’ll forever be thinking I really wanted that one.
    I went for the standard as I wasn’t really looking for race handling and brakes, but I’ve since purchased ohlins fork internals and rear shocks.
    Only because I’m no lightweight and the standard suspension wasn’t really up to it.

Point is I now have an awesome bike that was still cheaper than an R so if it’s the looks of the upside down forks you want, wait until the bike you want becomes available,otherwise there are different routes to the colour you may want

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Spacefrog

Spacefrog Active Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Oh yes……! I have a van hired and this beauty will be mine by tomorrow , seeing you lot dont like green, i thought about it and decided i didnt like it as much as i thought..ha...

Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 17.00.00.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 16.59.50.png

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Spacefrog

Spacefrog Active Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Somerset UK
    This is gonna be awesome, i got to call into swindon triumph and pick up my new dual seat and sport footpegs……i cant wait…. i dont think im gonna be able to sleep….waited along time for this day…..alot of hard work saving for it too…….

• Like Like x 3
  22. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Well done and all the best for your happy day.
    Sound sad but we all do it

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Spacefrog

Spacefrog Active Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Yes Andy i noticed that happened when i test rode the faster silver one…….:blush: i was only at the first set of light and some bloke wound down is window and was asking me about it……. i hope you all like my choice of colour….. it had to be black…. my Yamaha Fz6 aint gonna be happy….

fullsizeoutput_1b7.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Nice one! Enjoy your new bike, you will keep finding an excuse to go into the garage just for another look!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1