Thruxton Thruxton 1200r Vs 1200

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by johne, Jun 17, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    I'm sure this will have been covered before, but I did a search and found nothing so here goes:

I'm looking at buying a 1200 Thruxton, but I'm not sure which model to go for. I won't be buying new and as I'm in my 60's now I am thinking the standard 1200 will be more than adequate for me and the riding I do. They are certainly quite a bit cheaper on the open market, with one or two advertised at less than £7k from dealers. Has anyone here bought a 1200 (standard) and then decided they wanted a R, or indeed has anyone gone the other way, sold their R and bought an S?

I'm hoping to take a standard 1200 out for a test ride at the weekend and will probably try and blag a ride on an R too, but they will be obviously short jaunts and I wondered what owners find in terms of 'living' with the bikes.

I've had this 'dilemma' with my Aprilia Tuono V4. Everyone said get the top spec 'factory' bike, but I found the 'RR' version (basically the same bike , engine, frame etc. without the Ohlins suspension) was plenty good enough for me and cheaper too, thats why I'm thinking along those lines with the 2 Thruxton variants.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    I have the 1200S and haven’t felt the need for the R, however adjustable suspension would be nice, you will probably find the cost of that upgrade is a fair bit less than the premium of the R over the S
    In all other respects the 1200S is a great bike
    Hope that helps a little:)

• Like Like x 3
  3. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Sometimes it's better not to have adjustable suspension then you can't feck it up :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. FellZebra

FellZebra First Class Member

Mar 9, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    I had the same Thruxton dilemma and just like you the same Aprilia Touno dilemma before that.
    Dilemma solved by buying the Touno Factory at the time (oh yes then had another Touno Factory) and then buying the Thruxton R.
    Absolutely no regrets, ok my riding might not have needed the extra features of the Touno Factory but was good to know I’d got it with its premium add ons.
    As mentioned above it’s expensive / annoying if you’ve bought the wrong one.
    No one has ever said ‘this bike is good but I wish I’d got a lower spec version’!!
    I think also the resale of the higher spec bike is easier because of its desirability

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    I bought a Thruxton S and have no regrets, though I have put K-Tech shocks on the back. I had a Ducati before and found that messing with the suspension did not really add much for me. Put it all back to standard in the end. The only thing I was slightly dubious about was the brakes. I had radial Brembos on the Ducati and they were quiet fierce, but no ABS. However, I'm pretty sure I'm safer with the Nissins and ABS, but they just don't have the same feel. They are fine, just need a firm squeeze and now I'm used to it.

I've ridden the R as well and there is no doubt it is better equipped. Don't go by the road tests, try them yourself. The ridiculous comments in the press about how much the new RS is better than the R make me chuckle.

Bottom line for me is I can't out ride the S, but if I was 20 again I'd probably buy the R, no the RS!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    I bought a speed triple r and for build faults exchange it for the speed triple s which had a much better suspension set up as the ohlins on the r was way too hard for road use

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. johne

Jan 16, 2020
    Me too Tony. I actually prefer the look of the S with the 'conventional' forks rather than the R's USD set up.

If you are buying a retro style bike shouldn't it look like a retro? I think Kawasakis Z900RS makes the same mistake by having usd forks and a mono shock rear end rather than twin shocks (at least both Thruxtons have those) but thats just personal preference of course. Mebbe I should just keep my 900 on that basis? ;)

• Like Like x 4
  8. todcp

todcp New Member

May 31, 2020
    Ocala FL
    I just went through the same process. Ended up with an R due to the suspension components and resale value. My thought was I would likely need to upgrade the suspension of the S for my 215 pound weight. The R was about $2,500 more than an available similar condition S and updgrading the forks and shocks would have been at least $1200 with me doing the work. The cost to upgrade the S suspension would probably not improve the resale value so money wasted when I sell. Here is the states the S is quite rare and the R models resell very well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. johne

Jan 16, 2020
    #9 johne, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Well I took an S out yesterday and I really liked it, more of everything compared to my 900 yes but I'm still not convinced its worth the extra money to change, for me anyway. I'm going to try an R too before I make any hard and fast decisions, but at the moment I am favouring keeping the old stalwart currently sat in the garage.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bunny

Bunny Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2018
    Kent
  11. johne

Jan 16, 2020
    I'd love it Bunny, but as I've just bought a VFR Honda on Saturday, I'd have to sell my own 900 Thruxton first.

12. Wl99

Wl99 New Member

Sep 30, 2020
    Canada
    I too am in my 60's. Hadn't ride for quite a few years. Bought a 2016 Thruxton 1200 (standard). Great bike - even w/o Ohlin's and Brembo.
    More in my budget. Pretty modern (TC, ABS and riding modes).
    Don't know what you bought but couldn't go wrong with a Thrux. ;)

Thruxton-1200 - 2016.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  13. MyEvilTwin

MyEvilTwin Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Sugartown Cabaret
    Yes - you should! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  14. andy-gsxr

andy-gsxr New Member

Jul 27, 2023
    Lincolnshire
    I think personally think the Thruxton 1200 s looks more retro than even the 900 ,the look of the engine replicates the look of the original triumph engine quite well (900 is great bike though )