Thruxton 1200 Clocks

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Mark9, Mar 7, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    I’ve had condensation on the inside of the clock glasses that has evaporated but left marks, is it possible to dismantle the clocks and get at the inside of the glasses to clean them?, cheers Mark.

B69A3FE9-91C7-46C4-89C0-704586A3E1AF.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Is the bike still under warranty? I think this was a known issue and triumph were replacing some

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    No, it’s a 2016, I think I’ve read that those that had the clocks replaced had the condensation return anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Nick HM

Nick HM New Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Bath, UK
    Yes - it's easy. If you want instructions go and look at the Arton Works web site. Arton make nice gauge dials and the instructions tell you how to get everything apart and back together. I did my dials - and it's not at all difficult.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    Great, thanks Nick, I actually couldn’t find the instructions on Arton work’s website but found this video of someone installing their clocks faces, as you said it looks very straightforward.

• Like Like x 2
  6. hutch988

hutch988 New Member

Apr 19, 2022
    Bristol
    Just fitted some Arton Works dials and had some new glass fitted.

60F311A9-C116-4DCC-99F6-353E871DB76B.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    Yes those clocks look nice. Try borrowing the wifes hair dryer to evaporate the condensation.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Uncle Olaf

Uncle Olaf Member

Mar 23, 2018
    Genk, Belgium
    Hello, 'some new glass fitted'. Did you change the glass of the intruments? Where did you buy it? I read it is not possible to clean the glasses on the inside without damaging them?

9. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    Hi UO, I did nothing because the problem went away, maybe the previous owners garage was damp and moisture built up in the clocks when he stored it? But it has never reappeared so I’m happy to leave it, so unfortunately I can’t be of help.

10. Uncle Olaf

Uncle Olaf Member

Mar 23, 2018
    Genk, Belgium
  11. hutch988

hutch988 New Member

Apr 19, 2022
    Bristol
    Yeah was quite and extensive repair! Cut the old glass out, had some plexi glass discs made (£15) and some alloy spacers laser cut (£8).

12. Uncle Olaf

Uncle Olaf Member

Mar 23, 2018
    Genk, Belgium
    Hello y'all,
    I emailed Triumph Benelux yesterday to ask them if it was possible to dismantle the glass from the clocks to clean it without damaging. They answered me that there is no contraindication whatsoever to do that. However it is not recommended to use agressive cleaning products. But with a soft cloth and some clean water or breathing damp, it would be no problem at all.
    So that answeres my question and solves my problem, and most of the others, I guess..

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Uncle Olaf

Uncle Olaf Member

Mar 23, 2018
    Genk, Belgium
    Hello y'all,
    I emailed Triumph Benelux yesterday to ask them if it was possible to dismantle the glass from the clocks to clean it without damaging. They answered me that there is no contraindication whatsoever to do that. However it is not recommended to use agressive cleaning products. But with a soft cloth and some clean water or breathing damp, it would be no problem at all.
    So that answeres my question and solves my problem, and most of the others, I guess..

14. Uncle Olaf

Uncle Olaf Member

Mar 23, 2018
    Genk, Belgium
    Hello there,
    this is a WARNING! Today I tried to clean the inner side of the instrument glass of my Thruxton with a very soft cloth. I didn't put any pressure but.... there were rubbing marks! Seems like very soft plastic to me...:confused:

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    Jeezs, are new Triumphs made out of Jelly Beans?

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    • Useful Useful x 2
  17. Ed Brodhurst

Ed Brodhurst New Member

Jan 20, 2023
    Swindon, UK
    Hi Hutch - where did you get your glass and spacers made if you don't mind me asking? I have a crack in my Speedo and don't fancy paying 500 for a new set of instruments from Triumph......

18. Uncle Olaf

Uncle Olaf Member

Mar 23, 2018
    Genk, Belgium
    DO NOT try to clean the Thruxton (I hace a 2016) speedo glasses from the inside!!!!! There is some kind of a coating on them and even the slightest rub causes scratches!!
    I asked Triump Benelux if I could do it, they said 'yes, no problem' but when I told them they were scratched they sent me a new set of glasses FOR FREE because apparently, they didn't know themselves! So my advice would be: ask Triumph and if they say 'go', you try to put the blame on them afterwards... Maybe it will work a few times...