Thruxton Thruxton 1200 Base To R Suspension

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Wesley Kagan, Aug 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wesley Kagan

Wesley Kagan New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Hello all,
    I got a pretty good deal on a leftover 2017 Thruxton, and have loved every minute of it. As I get some miles on the bike, I do find myself wanting a little stiffer suspension in the front, and was wondering if anyone had worked on putting some R suspension on their base model bike.

As far as I can tell, Obviously the rears just bolt on with no modification, but the fronts I'd have to do the fork set, and the triple tree. I don't believe there is any difference from R rims and base rims- correct me if I'm wrong. Brakes would obviously be switched to the Brembo, with the master cylinder as well.

Realistically I'm into my bike $4k less than a new R would of been, so I have some money to spend on parts. Even if I go OEM on everything, the parts breakdown from triumph is around $3100 for all new parts, including forks, brakes, master, triple trees, and rears.
    Thanks for the help!
    Pic for attention
    thrux.png

2. Kiwidave4

Kiwidave4 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Wellington, New Zealand

And I want to soften mine!!!

Why dont you look at replacing the springs/valves in the stock forks. I replaced my rear units with Bitubo and I know that the Matris kits for the front are popular. Got mine from Carpi Moto in Italy - good price and service.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wesley Kagan

Wesley Kagan New Member

Aug 21, 2019

If I'm honest, the rears are fine in the current configuration because the riding I do is spirited mountain roads- but I feel if I stiffen the fronts as much as the R is, the back will feel light. I'm trying to not unbalance the bike.

The springs and valves in the front is a good thought, I might look into that. try and find a happy medium between the two. Thanks!

4. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    #4 Glyn Phillips, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Ohlins fork internals are perfect and revalved rear ‘R’ shocks with a harder spring and softer damping perfect fork internals £600.00 ish and rear shocks second hand £250.00 new springs and revalved £380.00 ish

817639D7-2E62-4397-AE98-8C4698A6F385.jpeg

08EB77E5-20B4-458D-99F0-DAE851655ED2.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    #5 Glyn Phillips, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    As standard I found the front although ok, if you pushed it, seemed to bounce rather than track the surface.
    The rear again ok, when pushed would tend to I can only describe felt like it was winding up and causing an oscillation.
    I fitted the standard ‘R’ shocks and they were just way too hard and bounced off every bump regardless of adjustments

Once I purchased the Ohlins internals which transformed the front, softer in the way of bouncing but total control and feel.
    The rear with harder springs and revalved damping also transformed the rear.

Now the bike absorbs bumps rather than bouncing and tracks perfectly.
    I weigh just under 17 stone and the bike is really really good as opposed to ok before

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    I had similar issues front n rear with my Speed twin, new YSS rear shocks and dropping the front 10mm made a huge difference, i'm still thinking about some cartridges in the forks.

7. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    To be honest I’ve not ridden one with progressive springs and a preload adjuster, the difference the cartridges made was immense

• Like Like x 1
  8. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Yes it's nice to have the adjustability, my previous bike had Ohlins forks n rear shock. I'm still undecided on the cartridge kit as the new rear YSS shocks really improved the bike.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    It does take some justification for the cost but in my case it worked out way less than an R in terms of initial cost and I’m probably in a minority but I love the more traditional look

• Like Like x 1
  10. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Totally agree about the traditional look as that was one of the reasons for swapping down to the Speed Twin as its quite retro, i still prefer my 69 n 70 Triumphs though :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Just sold a BSA B50 SS I love em but hate riding them,

• Like Like x 1