throttle resistance issues low rpm

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by yegol, Mar 21, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. yegol

yegol New Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Hi all i have a triumph speed triple 2010 SE bike its been great untill now it's a very strange issue i will do my best to explain

When using first or 2nd gear using the throttle at low rpm 2-3 all i get is a very hard resistance ike my breaks are slighty on it's rather like riding your bike in 70mph winds i have checked the breaks and discs there fine it only seems when and at low rpm it's like someone is pushing against you hence the wind. also the stearing seems strange i cant find anything on the net about it but when i do come off the throttle at 2-3k rpm you can really feel the resistance like its got a permanant brake on any help would be great await to hear from you.

Ryan

2. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Hi Ryan welcome to the forum. Does sound a strange issue; Think I would want to find out if the resistance was from the chassis or engine. If you pull the clutch in while traveling at say 30, does the bike coast along or does it slow quickly? If it slows quickly I would check brakes, that both wheels spin freely when lifted from the floor and that brakes imidiately release after breaking. Check the wheel bearings spin freely and have no side play. Also check the chain and chain tension.

If the problem appears engine then check engine oil level and coolant levels first. Next fueling or fuel starvation or dirt in the fuel.

If you feel there may be a safety issue with the bike then may be best to call in at your local dealer (there are a few dealers on this forum)

• Like Like x 1
  3. yegol

yegol New Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Hi and thanks for the reply when pulling the clutch in as you said at 30 it's all very smooth no chain issues runs smooth it's only when engaging the throttle it then starts getting resistance its driving me mad i handed my bike over to my nabour whos a keen biker himself and even he found it to do it i did find a few guys now on diffrent forums and alot of people are saying the tps needs a look at.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Good discussion guys, what's TPS?

5. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Throttle position sensor? Did think the Speed Triple had a direct link to the throttle bodies (cable) not ride by wire but I am no expert and could be completely wrong:rolleyes:

Does sound a fueling issue though

6. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Throttle position sensor... If its that do the 12 minute tune as this is what is reset.. That or down load tuneecu and order a cable.. TuneECU_Start.

This may help from website...

Here a step by step instruction to download a new map to your ECU. These instructions were
    used on a 2010 NJ2 Speed Triple 1050.

You don't need any tools. Remove your seat and the ECU cable connector is just sitting in front of the fusebox
    (behind the tank)

- Start your computer
    - Plug the OBD2-cable into the USB-port from your computer.
    - Start TuneECU - select the map view / edit mode.
    - Plug the OBD2-cable into the OBD2-Port from your bike.
    - Pull the headlight fuse and optional the tailight fuse (save battery - Keihin ECUs don't like a voltage drop).
    * The 2 fuses are marked on the underside of the fusebox cover. 20amp and 5 amp respectively
    - Turn on ignition (kill switch in run position, do not start the engine)
    - Select Connect from TuneECU menu (it may auto-connect)
    - Optional: On the TuneECU menu - Read your map (this backs up your ECU's current map on the bike)
    **and store this on your computer.
    - Now choose from the menu TuneECU, select File -> Open your new map file. Attention! Make sure that
    * *this map is suitable for your bike.
    - Select download to the bike - this takes about 1 - 2 minutes
    - When finished - select disconnect from the menu. This is important you do this before turning off the ignition
    * *as it "closes" the program mode on the ECU.
    - After TuneECU is disconnects - Turn off the ignition
    - Put fuses back in
    - Wait 10 - 15 seconds and Turn on ignition

For the Reset adaption, if required,*you have two options, example of Triumph Keihin ECU:

-*The 12 minutes tune:
    1. Ensure the transmission is in neutral.
    2. Ensure the ECM has no stored faults (DTCs).
    3. WITHOUT TOUCHING THE THROTTLE, start the engine and allow it to warm up to 90°C .
    4. Leave the engine to idle for a further 12 minutes. Now have fun.

-*Reset adaption with TuneECU:
    - Reconnect with TuneECU
    - Select Reset Adaptation (takes about 30 seconds for the menu item to come selectable
    * as TuneECU connects).
    - Once reset and with Tune ECU still connected.
    - start your bike. Make sure you don't touch / twist the throttle - just thumb the starter until she fires.
    * Watch the TPS indicator at the bottom left corner of the TuneECU screen. When it goes green
    * (after about 15 - 20 minutes bike has to come to temp etc....) *the ECU has baselined the TPS.
    - Disconnect*ECU on the TuneECU menu.
    - Turn off your bike.
    - Disconnect your computer from the bike. Now have fun.

Reset TPS Sagem ECU, Triumph, Benelli & Aprilia (resets throttle to zero position)
    Ignition and Run switch on but engine off
    *Double-click the Reset TPS button
    This sets closed throttle position to a temporary high value.
    Start engine and let idle long enough for the ECU to trim the value down to match the set target idle RPM*(60 seconds), at this process, don't touch the throttle.
    Reset Adaption Triumph-Sagem-Lambda-models

1. Ensure bike is seeing a closed throttle position (CTP),
    * ** if not, then perform TPS reset.
    2. Bike in Neutral
    3. Coolant temperature between 80-96°C
    4. Minimum air box temperature of 21°C
    5. Now with clutch pulled, the speed even bring about 3000 1/min, hold the clutch pulled and let the engine
    * **run at idle for at least 30 seconds.

Check bike is adapted by viewing Lambda Fuel.
    Figures should be "toggling" +4 to -4

Don't forgot to check IACV steps are 20 - 35

Reset Adaption, prior to version 1.9.6, Reset TPS (Keihin ECU only),*Triumph only
    Process will be launched in the test window (Reset Adaption).
    <Menu> ECU--- Reset Adaption
    After each download, a Adaption reset is needed.
    1. Turn the ignition off and back on again.
    2. Wait 10 seconds and turn the ignition off again.
    3. Turn the ignition on.* Wait until TuneECU has connected automatically and select Reset Adaption
    * * *from the ECU menu.
    4. Start the engine and let it idle until the TPS light in the status bar becomes green – around 15 to 20
    ** *minutes,*at this process, don't touch the throttle.

Reset Adaption specifically for the Triumph EFI Twin models:

This procedure should be carried out with a cold engine.
    Connect your laptop to your bikes ECM with your OBD2 USB cable.
    Turn the ignition on, wait 10 seconds and then turn it off again.
    Turn the ignition on and wait until TuneECU has connected, then select "Reset Adaption" from the ECU menu.*
    Once clicked you will get a "Reset Adaption Complete" message after 5-15 seconds, OK this.
    Start the engine with the cold start knob pulled out and don't touch the throttle.
    Let the engine idle for 15 - 30 seconds and push the cold start knob in, but only to the first indent and not all the way.
    After about 3-5 minutes or sooner if you think your engine will idle OK without you touching the throttle, push in the cold start knob all the way.*
    Let the engine idle until the TPS light in the status bar becomes green, usually around 10 to 20 minutes.
    If the TPS light doesn't turn green after twenty minutes, don't worry and turn the engine off anyway as sometimes
    it doesn't trigger, and in our experience the job is done anyway.
    Turn the ignition off for a couple of minutes to ensure the ECM can save the adaptive data.

The manufacturer of Triumph motorcycles describes the way of the standard adaptation for Keihin
    models as follows:

1. Ensure the transmission is in neutral.
    2. Ensure the ECM has no stored faults (DTCs).
    3. WITHOUT TOUCHING THE THROTTLE, start the engine and allow it to warm up to 90°C (60°C on
    * * Bonneville, Scrambler, Thruxton, America, and Speedmaster models).
    4. Leave the engine to idle for a further 12 minutes.

Note:
    • If during an adaption cycle the conditions are no longer met, for example if the motorcycle is ridden, the
    motorcycle may not be fully adapted. The adaption process will continue each* time the conditions are met
    again, and the engine has idled for longer than 3 seconds.

Following the description for the fast adaptation method with the Triumph Diagnostic Tool:

To start a fast adaption:
    * * Connect the diagnostic tool, select ADJUST TUNE (Map) and select RESET ADAPTIONS.
    * * This will force a fast adaption routine to take place in around 5 seconds. For this to happen,
    * **the engine must be running, it must be at normal operating temperature and in closed loop control
    * * mode. Under any other conditions (such as with the engine not running) fast adaption will not take place
    * * and may cause default values to be loaded, which may then require a normal 12 minute adaption routine
    * **to be run.

The fast adaptation method is feasible even with TuneECU.

Note:
    • Using the fast adaption method above with the engine off and the ignition on will reset the adaptions to
    * *their default (not adapted) factory settings. A full 12 minute adaption routine will then be required.
    • Both methods only adapt the idle area - the off idle area can only be adapted when the motorcycle is
    * *ridden under load, i.e. on the road.
    • The off idle adaption area covers cruise sites from 30 to 90 mph (50 to 145 kmh), so the motorcycle must
    * *be ridden in this area to adapt. As it is not always possible for dealers to adapt motorcycles in this way,
    * *it is not a problem, then the motorcycle will perform continue adapting during normal use.

• Like Like x 2
  7. yegol

yegol New Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Hi all thanks for the replys i took it to a garage found out the Triumph Speed Triple Ignition Coils were full of water and causing them to bubble up and spark hence loss of power all fixed now and working yay new plugs coils and so on good stuff.

Ryan

• Like Like x 1
  8. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Glad you got it sorted Ryan, and thanks for the update and info
    And all sorted ready for the heat wave that is coming this Easter weekend!! :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  9. pistonbloke

pistonbloke Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Hi MATE , glad your sorted , just a thought , perhaps a look at this area to stop any further ingress of water by improvising something to stop future issues -pistonbloke

10. pistonbloke

pistonbloke Member

Mar 5, 2013
    heatweave - summer - what is this you speak of, are you goin insane - pistonbloke

• Like Like x 1
  11. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    #11 Screwball, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
    Glad you got it sorted... Handy to know about coils , but I don't plan in spending too much time in water on this one... Not a fair weather biker. Rode all year round for 10+ years, more of a choice now.... That and if I want to get wet and muddy I go green laning..

12. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    PB, I'm trying to prevent us all from topping ourselves... Lol
    And yes insane is where the voices come from...:biggrin:

13. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    I've ridden my SIII in some of the worst rain and never had an issue with water ingress. Could it have been when washing the bike?

14. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Could it be a dreaded jet washer incident???