This Is Where Ill Be.... Repost Of Intro For This Topic Group.

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Night1971, May 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Night1971

Night1971 Member

May 9, 2019
    Spain
    #1 Night1971, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Hi Group, (reposted here since i know that not everyone checks the welcome / intro threads...apologies those already said Hi.)

Just paid for a 2015 Nightstorm back in Spain where I live (Uk originally), but wont get on it until i get home from work in Iraq in 2 1/2 weeks :-(

She's all 100% stock so looking for tips, advise etc on some mods, maintenance, recalls, issues etc. 1st will be the cans, Is it worth de-cat'ing then or are the Triumph shorties OK? I'm not into super loud pipes and i keep my Multistrada Pikes Peak Original CAT as its just fine and fast enough as-is. This bike will be my coast-runner for steady days out (likely with the slower riders I know or the HD mob- urghhh)... First saw one of these about 8 years ago at my mates.... always said if i got a cruiser id look at these... Then a got an eye for Night Rod Specials and out of the blue this one popped up on a local site... great price, low km's, garaged, Spanish weather dry rides only. Cant go wrong.

Saw this great site in Germany that did a great conversion and some lovely stuff on it I like, right up my street but they haven't listed the exact parts. https://www.triumph-goch.de/de/umbau-triumph-thunderbird-nightstorm-46322Google Translate will help, but if anyone can identify some or all of those bits it would a great help! Links appreciated too.

So people, in advance forgive some stupid questions that fall from my keyboard, I am trying to read as much as I can but forums are a great time saver as well as flattening out the learning curve.

Pleased to be on-board. Cheers,

Lee

• Like Like x 4
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Lee and welcome to the Triumph Asylum - Nursie will be along soon with your 'meds' !!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Night1971

Night1971 Member

May 9, 2019
    Spain
    Struggling to find the single seat fender rack in UK or EU.... any useful links guys?

4. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
  5. Helmut Visor

Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
  6. Night1971

Night1971 Member

May 9, 2019
    Spain
    Y
    That's the kiddie.... Sorry mate, after each year with a new bike getting familiar with all the common suppliers it takes its toll... Sure i looked the other day at UK sites and were sold out... Anyway, 1 more ticked off... Cheers....

7. Helmut Visor

Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    If you want a chrome one then I'm about to sell mine as I've just bought the black one :cool::cool:

8. Night1971

Night1971 Member

May 9, 2019
    Spain
    Cheers pal, but black all the way....ill probably find replacement bolts in black at some point and would like the forks in anodised black one day.... :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Helmut Visor

Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
  10. Helmut Visor

Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Right, it's been long enough now.........where are the photos? ;);)

11. Night1971

Night1971 Member

May 9, 2019
    Spain

Arrive 11.15pm!!! couldn't just leave so a few Jameson & Cokes helped to get a few bits checked, changed and cleaned.....

Unknown-3.jpeg

Unknown-4.jpeg

Unknown-5.jpeg

Unknown-6.jpeg

Unknown-7.jpeg

Unknown-8.jpeg

Unknown-9.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  12. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Very tasteful.
    As regards pipes....the Triumph short TORs will be fine with the cat left on....removing the cat caused a near riot in my friends street when he did that to his Storm.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Night1971

Night1971 Member

May 9, 2019
    Spain
    Forward controls, Swing-arm covers coming any day..... K&N filter....

Going to Triumph shortly to ask about mapping and the to custom shop for side number plate and the 3in1 bullet rear lights which will come off the last fender fixing...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Helmut Visor

Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Definitely need pics as it progresses mate ;);)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Night1971

Night1971 Member

May 9, 2019
    Spain
    Liking these bars...

a tad lower though....

• Like Like x 2
  16. Night1971

Night1971 Member

May 9, 2019
    Spain
    OK, so swingarm covers arrived from over the pond.... And dont fit!!! No mounts in the right place? Anyone tell me what year the swingarm changed and if there are swing arm covers for a 2015 NightStorm?

Also, anyone with older model that wants a set in black, let me know.

Cheers

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  17. groomsnathan

groomsnathan New Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Iowa
    Please Help.. I have had my 2012 Storm for 2 years now and I absolutely love it. One issue I have been having is that I am getting a chirping sound from the rear tire area when torque is applied. So it doesn't make a sound when just riding or cruising but if I apply the throttle a little harder I will get a chirping sound from the rear. I have read that it could be the tension of the belt. I have made some adjustments to the tensions but have not had any success with it. Has anyone run across this before? And if so what was the fix?

18. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    There's a lot been written about belt chirp....could be alignment and/tension.....
    One simple thing worth trying is to wash the belt with ordinary soap and water....rinse in water, let it dry then spray the belt with DRY silicone spray.
    This has worked well for me on a number of belt drive bikes.
    Despite what some folks say my belt is aligned and tensioned to factory specs and doesn't chirp, squeal or make any other undue noises.
    Bet it will tomorrow though!

• Like Like x 2
  19. groomsnathan

groomsnathan New Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Iowa
    Welcome, I am still new here and I also have a lot of questions. I have done a few add on's on my 2012 Storm i.e, Grips, Flyscreen, exhaust, LED colored lighting, exhaust wrap & paint, k&n filter, ECU remapping, and dyno. I would first recommend exhaust do to the soft sounding factory exhaust. Also K&N filter. Also something really cool that you may not know is that the ECU is unlocked so if you buy the cable that connects to your bike and laptop, you can download Tunee ECU program and make changes to your mapping. I just got done running mine on a dyno with the help of the Tunee ECU program. I wasnt able to get any major improvements but I did get some.