Thruxton Thinking of Buying a Thruxton R

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Rich Bryce, Feb 20, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I'm planning to offload three spare bikes and the new Street Twin and put the proceeds in to either a Black T120 or a Thruxton R to go with my Tiger 800 XRx. I haven't ridden either yet, but having sat on them I was pleasantly surprised by the relaxed riding position on the Thruxton. Test rides this week so long as the roads stay dry. I just know that once I start riding the Street Twin, which let's face it was bought on a whim cuz it was going so cheap, I'm going to be envious of those chaps with the 1200 engine. Def Black T120, but it'll be a question of colour if I do go for the Thruxton. I'm beginning to warm to the red. Just saying.

2. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    Mornin Rich,

The only input I can provide is that when the new modern classics were announced toward the end of '15, I immediately put an order in for a T120 Black.

The demo bikes became available before my bike was here and so I went down for a ride. As I turned up, someone was just off on the T120 Black, so I had a spin on the Thruxton R first (which Id wanted to do for comparison). I didn't want to go the Thruxton route as I had it in my head that the upright chilled out riding position of the T120 was where I wanted to be, but the Thruxton R just honestly blew me away. Really comfortable from the off - and that engine! Wow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An hour later and I was on the T120. As much as I didn't want to admit it, I found the T120 totally underwhelming. The engine seemed too slow to rev and when it did the riding position mage me feel like a human wind sock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It took another week of internal unrest wondering which way I should go, before taking them both out again back to back for a good long ride on open roads, in town, in traffic, fast & slow (real world stuff) and that made my mind up. Importantly, the Thruxton was obviously great to ride fast, but also provided that smooth, chilled out slow ride that I sometimes feel like I need. I spoke to my dealer about changing my order to the Thruxton R (my T120 Black was a few weeks off delivery yet) and he said no problem, and he had one available in stock - in the best colour :) (hard to believe given the demand - this was May 2016).

[​IMG]

Not suggesting the T120 aint the bike for you, its just that after a demo ride on both, back to back, it was the Thruxton that 'spoke' to me. Never looked back.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Yes dido to the above, I took the T 120 out then the R, then took the misses out on the T 120, but she said she could not go on the T120 due to the popping on the pea shooter exhaust, because of her position behind me I could not hear it but it went right through her. So she said get the Thruxton and make it as comfortable as you can for me. Result love my R all be it with the dual seat, which I have had remodelled to get it as comfy as possible. The red looks better in natural light, but when it was on show at the NEC it looked like a tarts lipstick. Sorry to any tarts.

• Like Like x 1